A forum friend on a different forum was injured.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
A fellow in one of the FB forums I belong to apparently seriously injured himself working on a kit. He said he spent a long time in A&E (I think that is what us Yanks call the Emergency Room), having his hand stuffed back together and then sewn up. Power tool accident. Just a reminder to all of us, be careful! Even a hobby knife can do a number on you. This morning one rolled off the table and ended up point down embedded in the seat of my chair, entirely too close to irreplaceable equipment if you get my drift!

A&E = Accident & Emergency. It is equivalent to the ER in US parlance. And here endeth the patronizing transatlantic education lesson. :)

Hope your friend recovers rapidly and that his hand regains full functionality. Your reminder of taking due care with all modelling tools (and, indeed, some of the substances we use) is well made - I'm sure we've all been in circumstances where a momentary lapse in concentration results in a close call...or worse. Glad your close call was just close and nothing worse!

A&E = Accident & Emergency. It is equivalent to the ER in US parlance. And here endeth the patronizing transatlantic education lesson. :)

Or simply referred to as the Casualty Department in most hospitals here.....:thumbleft:

I echo Buff's sentiments - I hope your friend recovers quickly Robert.

I agree, the only time I ever got speedy service I was not awake all that long to savor it. I remember a really big guy bringing a mask to my face and then the lights went out.

This was his post:

Hi all my modeling friends, I won't be doing any models for a week or two, I was making one of my Apocalyptic contraptions last night when I got distracted and my Rowtery saw decided flesh was easier to cut than plastic. I spent 5 long hours in AandE having the contents of my hand being pushed in and stitched up, being Agraphobic added to the fun, the moral of this story is Please please, if your using anything Sharp or your Hobby Drill or anything that can bite you, don't let yourself get distracted, focus 100 % on your work, I did not. I can honestly say now, I have literally bled for our Hobby, so take care be safe, cheers.

Knocketh upon wood but never been hurt while putting models together ...now power tools are an entirely different story. Last April while cutting a deck board it started to slip while I was cutting it with the circular saw...made a quick unthinking grab and the blade damn near cut my thumb off
As to ERs here in the colonies, when the tree viciously attacked me and I was loosing arterial blood having soaked through two bath towels I still had to stop at the front desk while they got all my insurance info...though housekeeping got there pretty quick to mop-up the puddles I was making on the floor

Yep, bureaucracy at its best here in the states. When we were visiting Greece once, my son stepped on a sea urchin. Painful and dangerous. A trip to the local ER and he was seen and treated immediately. Given meds, especially when we explained we were visitors here for another week. Only at the very end did they ask about coverage. And when they heard we were from the US he folded the claim form up and said it was not worth pursuing and have a nice day and call immediately if my son had any discomfort or other symptoms.

Update, he is recovering well. The following was his update on the forum.

Keith Barkle
Yesterday at 7:43am
Hello to my Modeling Family, hope you are fit and well and for those who are not, please get well soon.
I want to a huge thankyou to all the kind friends who sent good wishes to me after my little accident, this group truly is made up of the best people on earth. Just a little reminder what can happen when your distracted when using you tools, especially power tools, take care and thankyou very much again, much appreciated.
16807653_1742183069425538_401523198767926494_n.jpg
16730462_1742183089425536_898186190003244595_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back