A good first shot (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nov 12, 2010
Hi,mates

i have a short one for you.

Does you have a good idea for my first build ?

i have only minor experience off modeling.

yours, Conrad

that alsow the question.

what is to prefere on a first build ?

Yes, details is great to have

no, i´m pritty shakey on my hand

To be honest the scale is the matter of money you can spend on that. 1/72 scale kits are usually cheaper than 1/48 ones.But "higher" scale provide more details. For beginners all scale kits are fine. But you have to look achead to what a kind of a collection you want to have for instance.

Models of 1/72 scale are smaller than these of 1/48. There is possibility of purchasing many aftermaket details made of metal or rasin in order to make them more accurate. Of course you will have to pay for them additional money. But you have to be warned not all 1/72 scale kits are of a good quality, especially these older. However an assembled properly 1/72 scale model can be very nice one too. 1/48 scale kits are of better quality mostly. The quality of these old 1/48 kits is really different and depends on their manufacturers.These aftermarket parts are offered for them as well. But adding of these additional parts causes spending much more money for them than for those of 1/72 scale.
However all new models issued 5 or less years ago, are of quite nice quality.

I'd go with a larger scale. bigger pieces, easier on the eyes and hands, on the other hand that means more pieces and more complexity. Check the boxes there is usually some indication of skill level. There are several "easy build" kit types as well

I'd go with a larger scale. bigger pieces, easier on the eyes and hands, on the other hand that means more pieces and more complexity. Check the boxes there is usually some indication of skill level. There are several "easy build" kit types as well

And it is the reason I would suggest 1/48 scale. The Spitfire Mk.IX of Revell ( reboxed Hasgawa) seems to be one of these nice kits for beginning.

Don't fall for the 1/72nd has more fiddly bits than 1/48th or 1/32nd.

!/72nd scale planes are VERY basic and usually with little detail (especially for WWII). You go into larger scales and the amount of detail tends to go up proportionately in areas such as cockpit, engine and armament.

If you are a beginner, I would recommend 1/72nd. Learn the basics of modeling and only then move into larger scales for added details.

I tend to agree with Matt. Start with a simple, 1/72nd scale kit of 'fighter' size - something fairly simple, say a Spitfire, just to get accustomed to the assembly technique etc. Don't worry too much about detail painting, extra detail etc, this will come later.
In fact, even if you make a real mess of it, the main thing is you will have learned something. The basics are knowing how to assemble, and adjust and set things such as the wing dihedral, how to deal with seams and joint lines and so on.
Once you are fairly happy with the basics, then move on to perhaps 1/48th scale, with more detail;, and concentrate a little more on getting the detail in the kit right.
If you feel that 1/72nd scale is a little small to handle, then all of the above still stands - just keep to the same type of kit (eg Spitfire), but in 1/48th scale, and preferably a lower cost version; the Revell kit mentioned by Wojtek being ideal. You don't have to spend a small fortune to make a good model !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back