A Japanese Me-109

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pampa14

Airman 1st Class
May 14, 2013
The link below provides a rare photo of a Me-109 used by Japan, with the mark of the Rising Sun emblazoned on the fuselage. Does anyone know if Japan used German fighters in combat? The link also features a selection of photos unimaginable for the High Command of the Luftwaffe at the beginning of WW2, see their powerful Me-109 and Fw-190 fighters captured and tested with allied markings. To view all photos, visit the link below:

Aviação em Floripa: Uma visão incomum para a Luftwaffe

Cheers.

In short words: no. Japan acquired only a few Bf 109E - that was not enough to equip any operational unit. Linked picture was taken on Kawasaki test centre in Gifu. Generally Japanese test pilots were disappointed cause Emils were inferior in dogfight against own fighters.

German Fighters in Japanese service? I don't think so. The Germans and Japanese had different philosophies of combat. As far as I know the Japanese received seven examples of a Bf 109E-7 in June 1941. They were used in comparison test against captured examples of Curtiss P-40Es, prototypes of the Kawasaki Ki 61, Nakajima Ki 43 and Ki 44. Apparently after the test results were tabulated the Japanese had no interest in the Bf 109s.

I believe they came fairly close to building licensed derivatives of the He 100 with a fixed radiator arrangement (as well as purchasing and test flying the -surface cooled- A-0 -or D-0, depending on source- prototypes). That work contributed to Kawasaki's Ki 60 and Ki 61 development as well as license producing the DB-601.

If I may add a few, one of them was disassembled to study the material and structure.

JACAR Reference Code: A03032230800

0372.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back