A Japanese Purchased a Zero in the U.S. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi

Lieutenant Colonel
Feb 17, 2008
Osaka
Just a breaking news and I don't know details yet but -

A Japanese entrepreneur Masahide Ishizuka 53 purchased a Zero (A6M3) in the U.S. and it arrived at Saitama City near Tokyo to be displayed on Nov 21. He says he is going to fly it in next year.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwJNbefEpe4

A6M3_Mod22.mp4_000002235.jpg

I think that is the one that was going to go to Alaska that spent a few weeks at Camarillo back in 2012. Here is was at the Chino show in 2012. If memory serves correctly, it had a little bit of a nose up flight characteristic that couldn't be trimmed out back then, so it was a little tiring to fly.

DSC_0133.jpg

Yep, that is the sister ship of the Camarillo Zero. That is the one that was supposed to go to Alaska in 2012. I hope Mr. Ishizuka has a lot of money, I have heard insuring one in Japan is prohibitively expensive, unless insurance regulations have eased. How long has it been since a Zero has flown over Japan?

DSC_1266.jpg

Yeah, this one and the one in Camarillo are like Frankenstein. There are parts from multiple Zeros that were recovered from Babo Island Airfield in the 1980s and partially restored in Russia for the Camarillo one. I had heard this one was from Babo as well, but I have also heard it was recovered in New Guinea. But the Camarillo Zero and this one both have the Pratt and Whitney engines in them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, Eric.

He purchased the Zero for about US$3,000,000.00 and asks donation for the maintenance in Japan.
He also has business in US and NZ with the NZ passport.

I think your action field will extend to overseas, Eric :)

Thanks Aaron :)
I hope more warbirds would fly in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back