A look inside the WWII surrender ceremony: 'My job was to make sure we did not screw

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I saw this in the LA Times today.

James L. Starnes, navigator of the battleship Missouri, was 24 years old when he learned he would play a key role in the ceremony to mark the end of World War II.

After the Japanese conceded defeat, President Truman announced that "Mighty Mo," the behemoth 58,000-ton flagship of the 3rd Fleet, would host the signatories of the instrument of surrender in Tokyo Bay.

"My job was to make sure we did not screw up," said Starnes, 94, who performed the role of officer of the deck the morning of Sept. 2, 1945.

A former lieutenant commander in the Navy who now lives in a retirement community in Stone Mountain, east of Atlanta, Starnes is one of the few remaining veterans who organized the ceremony on the Missouri 70 years ago.

A look inside the WWII surrender ceremony: 'My job was to make sure we did not screw up' - LA Times

Interesting stuff.
I liked the part about the folding table and stained cloth - it always seems to be the obvious, basic things that get screwed up when organising a big event !

Interesting article, sys.

"There were a few hitches — the Canadian representative signed on the wrong line."
Seriously I think this is invalid as official document.

Instrument_of_Surrende.jpg

That's a great piece of film, thanks Shinpachi.

They remembered to bring a pen and then screwed up one of the most important documents of the 20th century!

It looks like the Japanese representatives were prepared to accept the document, albeit with the sort of correction you'd expect in a 10 year old school pupil's exercise book. I imagine that they just wanted it over and done with.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back