A modern day mission - Lancaster bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff, and beaut pics, especially by a ten year old!
Here's a pic of two veterans, Pilot Frank Collett (on the right), and Flight Engineer Norman Jones, both ex-625 Sqn, inside the same Lancaster at East Kirby in May 1995, 51 years after being shot down over Stuttgart.

Attachments

• Can Jan 561.jpg
    Can Jan 561.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 127
An aquaintance of mine was a tail-gunner on Lancs. His family bought him a ride on the Hamilton based ship and was flown to an airbase in New York, where he was treated royally by our American friends, before returning to Hamilton. He was allowed into the upper turret, while in flight, but it was deemed unsafe to allow him into the rear turret which struck him as funny because there were no such reservations in 1944 'and people were shooting at me as well!' Three months later Jack passed and his family were very glad they could give him one last ride.

A tail gunner Lanc crewman that I know passed last December - Dean Cutmore.

40% casualties ......

Brave men ..... they don't deserve to have their reputation in Politically Correct, defeatist. hands.

Proud Canadian

MM

You got that right MM. I was in a B-17 (on the ground only) and stuck my head in the dorsal gun. The moment I looked around I got cold chills just imagining Bf-109's shooting at me. I couldn't even stay in the turret. Super, brave men, one and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back