A local guy I went to school with, let's just call him David B, was one of the smarter guys in my class, but was from a dirt poor family.
He couldn't afford college, so the draft got him while I was away in the USAF.
Went to Nam of course.
When I got out of the AF, the summer I spent at home before joining the Army, I saw him a few times, tried to talk to him but he was not interested.
While I was away in the Army, I was told he went to the woods, and broke off all contact with his family, or anyone. Become a hermit in the woods. There are deep, remote woods locally, not hardly like out west, but deep thick brush and trees. I grew up around here, and used to hunt when I was young, with David, among other friends, I know and love camping, logging, etc.
According to people who have encountered him, he is hardly verbal, will not talk, doesn't run from people, just avoids them.
I'm 78, David is too. About 20 years ago my older brother, also a Vietnam vet, encountered him. Even though he's known David since he was a young boy, David did converse with him a little, but was plainly not at ease. Curtiss, my brother, told me he wanted to help him, but he couldn't find him for weeks at a time. Even his camps are hard to find, and he has several. They're all on other people's land, and some in the local national forest. Nobody knows how he survives, he out there year round probably. I've looked for him myself, but never found him just some of his old camps sites, possibly. I began to assume he had died out there and his remains would likely never be found, because they would be dispersed by wildlife.
I heard some rumors about 5-6 years ago that he's still out there.