A New Flying Tigers Movie Being Planned (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the revisit of the Flying Tigers is due to it's relevance to him (and his heritage) as well as the sheer popularity and recognition of the Flying Tigers. I was probably a teen before I knew that the AVG wasn't actually a part of the USAAF.

The Battle of Britain has a plethora of Stories that would be absolutely incredible movies. Black Thursday could be a movie unto itself. I do know there is also supposed to be a Tuskegee movie in the works as well (from George Lucas in some fashion) I would actually like to see more of the war stories portrayed as the tragedies they are however.

While no one is denying the tyranny of the Axis powers, there were many individuals in those militaries that were much more than the political schemes of their governments allowed or wanted them to be.

I do not hold a lot of hope for a John Woo move after Windtalkers. That movie took a very good idea, and through terrible acting, and historically inaccurate details and action, ruined the movie for me. I guess I kind of now expect a war movie to be along the lines of Saving Private Ryan, or BoB, and I guess for me those two films raised the bar to such a high level that it is hard for the average movie to compare. I guess when you compare a foot to a yard, you will always come up short. Maybe I am expecting too much now out of my war movies, I want historically accurate everything, planes, tanks, ships, weapons, fighting, etc. Anything less ruins the move for me.

Considering how PC hollywood is, I think you'll get another "Flyboys". Nice concept, lousy performance. In other words, they'll re-write history and do a bad job of it.
It's not ging to be a Hollywood movie though. It's a Chinese production.

I wouldn't say that all that comes out of Hollywood is poisoned by the PC crowd...

Clint Eastwood recently did an awesome job with Flags of our Fathers/Letters home from Iwo Jima...

Sounds interesting. I would like to see another WWII flying movie, haven't been too many.

Hell, soon (?) we are going to have three WW2 flying movies...The "Red Tails" film, The "Dam Busters" and now the "Flying Tigers". I wonder which one will be the best? (just kidding)

It is true the John Woo "could" give an interesting "Chinese" point of view to the "Tigers" movie...Just out of curiosity, how many prominent Chinese figures are featured in the story of the "Flying tigers"? Maybe he could explore the relationship's between the pilots (hero's) and the Chinese.

I don't really understand the "PC/Hollywood" concerns..."Flyboys" was just a bad movie, the fact that it was a weak story had nothing to do with "PC". Hollywood makes tons of movies that could be called "anti-PC" (or that have no PC concerns). I'd say that many war movies are weakened by the studio shooting for a PG13 rating, and/or the producers are trying to keep the "story moving" by keeping the historical details "in the background" (if their at all). In many occasions historical accuracy is not the most dramatic or movie cinematic friendly plot device (like shrinking a time line or consolidating 3 or 4 different "'real" people into 1 or 2 characters).

I don't think that "Pearl Harbor" and "Flyboys" where the victim of a political agenda...I seriously doubt that these movies where the victim of anyone's effort to re-write history...sadly the makers just wanted to make a buck.

It just would be nice instead of remaking a movie already done, why not pick a story that has not been told yet. There's got to be a ton of them.

The last Flying Tiger movie was from six decades ago,

I dont qualify this new movie as a remake, considering the passage of time.

I'm not sure how time would be relevant in regards if a movie could be considered a remake or not. To me if it's telling the same story as a movie already made, that's a remake.

Like GG said, hopefully it will be from a differemt perspective.

Well, ok...fair enough.

In this case, a remake would be like the original "All Quiet on the Western Front" filmed in the 30's. The remake has the same characters and settings, filmed in the 70's...same title.

In contrast to the movies "Saving Private Ryan", "Band of Brothers", "The Longest Day"and "The Big Red One" which all have a common thread: D-Day, but involve D-Day from different perspectives.

This is what I'm hoping for! :thumbright:

If it's not sympathetic to Japanese aggression and genocide in China, critics will call it "one sided" as they did of "The Great Raid".

How can someone be "sympathetic" to the atrocities performed in Japanese POW camps? Holy crap, what would people say if a fairly accurate account of the Bataan Death March was put on the big screen???? Or are we trying to rewrite that bit, too, so the Japanese people don't have to feel so bad?

How can someone be "sympathetic" to the atrocities performed in Japanese POW camps? Holy crap, what would people say if a fairly accurate account of the Bataan Death March was put on the big screen???? Or are we trying to rewrite that bit, too, so the Japanese people don't have to feel so bad?

I think that this is kind of a funny comment....Japanese cinema had a long history of making anti-war movies. Issues of Japanese military brutality have been explored sense the 1950's...

That's cool. I don't watch too much Japanese cinema, or foreign films for that matter, so not sure what other countries are putting out. With today's PC-climate (not "personal computer"!!) here in the US, I can sooooo see someone getting tangled panties because we "portrayed the IJN as a brutal and barbaric machine". Someone would get offended. And there's NO way they could make something like that, keep it accurate, and slap a PG-13 rating on it.

That's cool. I don't watch too much Japanese cinema, or foreign films for that matter, so not sure what other countries are putting out. With today's PC-climate (not "personal computer"!!) here in the US, I can sooooo see someone getting tangled panties because we "portrayed the IJN as a brutal and barbaric machine". Someone would get offended. And there's NO way they could make something like that, keep it accurate, and slap a PG-13 rating on it.

Reminds me of a religious Mel Gibson movie, which I believe the critics went overboard with.

I can go one better than that, NJ...

The movie 300 was based on a very true story. There were some literary licenses taken, but the core of the movie was rooted in complete fact. Side note: The real King Leonidas was killed in the first skirmish on the first day...took the Spartans and their allies about 5 charges to recover Leonidas' body, but by the final day, the survivors were finally wiped out by a terrible arrow barrage in the end...arrowheads are still found by the handfull to this day at Thermopylae...

Anyway, the Arab community (notably Ahmanutjob of Iran) got thier panties in a wad as did a number of bleeding hearts who were convinced that the movie was attempting to stab muslims in the eye with lies and fantasy propeganda.

Aparently those self-absorbed, highly educated people had never read a history book...

I can go one better than that, NJ...

The movie 300 was based on a very true story. There were some literary licenses taken, but the core of the movie was rooted in complete fact. Side note: The real King Leonidas was killed in the first skirmish on the first day...took the Spartans and their allies about 5 charges to recover Leonidas' body, but by the final day, the survivors were finally wiped out by a terrible arrow barrage in the end...arrowheads are still found by the handfull to this day at Thermopylae...

Anyway, the Arab community (notably Ahmanutjob of Iran) got thier panties in a wad as did a number of bleeding hearts who were convinced that the movie was attempting to stab muslims in the eye with lies and fantasy propeganda.

Aparently those self-absorbed, highly educated people had never read a history book...

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back