A Recently Found Album of My Fathers Service in WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
My Aunt (Dad's sister) recently passed away and wile going through boxes of old pictures at her house we found this. Its an album she kept of his service in the Air Corps from the time he was drafted a month before Pearl Harbor until they received a letter from him sent from the German P.O.W camp he ended up in when his B-24 was shot down in Feb 45'. Not everything is complete in it, bit I thought it might you might find it interesting.

27.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
33a.jpg
33b.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
43.jpg
44.jpg
45.jpg
46.jpg
47.jpg
48.jpg
46a.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite entry, (other than "dad, save the bottle") was "The Germans were good" after his first misson. There is no doubt that he was not refering to their personal habits. My own father spent his youth in the fight against the Nazi regime, I thank your father and mine, and all the dads and grandpaws out there...
Find a WW2 vet, and just say, thank you!

That was cool! I didnt realize how many bases the airmen went to before heading overseas.
Dad's situation was different that most. He was drafted before Pearl Harbor and trained on B-24's before being selected for pilot training. He didn't finish the pilot training though, the only part of that he talked about was the cadet training at Butler University. Some how after that he ended up as a gunnery instructor for quite a wile before volunteering for combat duty (I think he was board with Texas and New Mexico) and ended up in the 8th Air Force as a flight engineer/top turret gunner just after D-Day. When Doolittle fazed the B-24s out of the 8th he went to the 15th AF in Italy as a bomb strike photographer where his plane was shot down during a mission to Vienna. Anti-Aircraft fire took out 2 engines and disabled the feathering device so they couldn't maintain altitude and the entire crew bailed out safely when they were near the ground. All were taken prisoner shortly and he spent just under 3 months as a P.O.W.

My favorite entry, (other than "dad, save the bottle") was "The Germans were good" after his first misson. There is no doubt that he was not refering to their personal habits.
Dad didn't say much about the German fighters but he had a healthy respect for the German anti-aircraft gunners. Years and years later when my wife asked him why he had to bail out of his airplane he just told her "Too many holes" :lol:

WOW! What a great find Glenn - thanks for posting!

I don't know how he spoke or wrote, but that letter looks extremely carefully worded. I can just see one of his captors standing over him as he wrote it...

Thanks for sharing your Dad's WW2 record with us Glenn.
A fascinating insight into one man's service.

I have my Dad's hand written 8th Army records ( written after the war) with reminiscent and anecdotes.
A prized possession of mine.
Cheers
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back