A Tachikawa Ki-54 has been recovered! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi

Lieutenant Colonel
Feb 17, 2008
Osaka
I reported a Japanese Army Type 1 Twin-engine Advanced Trainer (Tachikawa Ki-54) was found sinking in the bottom of Lake Towada two years ago. Now, it has been recovered by local volunteers of Misawa Aviation Science Museum after 69 years from its crash at last.

The plane which belonged to Army 38th Independent Flight Group crash landed there during the flight from Noshiro airfied in Akita to Hachinohe airfield in Aomori on September 27, 1943. All 4 crew were fortunately rescued then.

Recovered conditon looks good with less faded paint in the water. This plane will be restored and displayed in Misawa Aviation Science Museum in the future.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqvihM3UU_s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgiN09H5_s

Sankei00.JPG

Engine.jpg

Nose.JPG

Last edited:
Pretty cool Shinpachi. Looking at the last photo, I am amazed at how they can restore an aircraft that is in such bad shape. Can't wait for the finished product.

Geo

Thanks Geo for your kind comment.
In my impression, seeing Japanese style for restoration for many years, from an era of immaturity to the recent maturity, they may not touch the original airframe but build new frames. This is my wish though. They are saying at the moment they will restore.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
I'm glad to confirm that Tachikawa workers did their good job even during the war.

Nose.JPG

Engine.JPG

Engine: Hitachi Ha-13-ko 9cylinder 515HP

It's interesting to see that most of the corrosion seems to be centered near rivets and struts. A type of galvanic corrosion perehaps?

It's interesting to see that most of the corrosion seems to be centered near rivets and struts. A type of galvanic corrosion perehaps?

I am not sure about the galvanic corrosion effect in the freshwater of 300 meters depth and 4-5 centigrade degree temperature but the 69 years seems long enough to begin eating the aluminum.

file5760.jpg

Great find, glad the recovery went well.

Those vids have some special meaning for me, as a long time ago, in another lifetime, I lived not far from Lake Towada. From time to time I headed up there to visit the small school on the shore, combined primary and junior-high with, as I recall, eight students and ten staff. One day, the principal found a beautiful green snake in a tree outside his office - all classwork came to a halt as all the kids came out to have a look.

Special place, Lake Towada.

You hear of so many German and Allied aircraft being found and recovered in Europe almost on a regular basis, but it's so rare to hear of a restorable Japanese aircraft being recovered these days.

There seems to be alot of electrolysis going on between the aluminium and ferrous materials...I wonder if Lake Towada has a high mineral content?

Anyway, Congratulations are in order to the recovery team for a job well done!

Thanks for the update, Shinpachi!

I am not sure about the galvanic corrosion effect in the freshwater of 300 meters depth and 4-5 centigrade degree temperature but the 69 years seems long enough to begin eating the aluminum.
View attachment 212193
Well, pure aluminum exhibits good corrosion resistance in fresh water. I seem to remember from my college days that aluminum alloys (such as those used in the aviation industry) are more prone to corrosion in addition to becoming brittle over time.

In any case, the factors leading to galvanic corrosion are all present: water, chloride salts (fresh water is less "salted" than seawater but chlorides are always present, especially near the bottom of lakes where most sediments settle) and mechanical contact with other metals creating a sort of natural battery.

Wow! Thanks for posting this update, but what happened during the lift? The video made it seem that the airplane was structurally intact and in better shape then it is now. I know we can't second guess the people on the scene, but was this lift rushed? Opinions?

Just thinking out loud...

Thanks guys for so many nice comments!
I hope they will restore it like Mr. Nobuo Harada's Betty!

Water of Lake Towada contains less mineral but ..... zinc!

Harada's Betty.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back