A.W. Meteor NF.14, 46 Sqn, 1/72nd scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
As I can't go any further with the NF.12 model until the new compressor arrives, which should be on Tuesday or Wednesday, I'm going to make a start on the final model for the 46 Squadron Association 100th Annual Re-Union Dinner, this being the later NF.14 version of the night-fighter Meteor, with the even longer nose, and the one-piece, 'blown' canopy, as built by Armstrong Whitworth, as Gloster's were fully committed to tooling-up for the new Javelin 'all weather' fighter, which eventually replaced the Meteors in service with 46 Sqn.

The kit is the Hannant's 'Xtrakit' version in 1/72nd scale. which is from the original 'Matchbox' moulds, and can be built as the NF.11, NF.12 or NF.14, with alternative parts for the three different radome noses and the two the different fins, together with alternative cockpit fittings and the cockpit surrounds and fuselage spine and, of course, the different canopy styles.
This looks to be a fairly simple kit, in typical 1980's 'Matchbox' style, although thankfully without the trench-like panel lines at one time common on 'Matchbox' kits and, given I don't have any more annoying delays, I'm hoping that it will go together without any problems, and fairly quickly - but I'm touching wood, stroking rabbit's feet, and fondling my lucky heather, just in case !!
As with the other models, this will be built strictly 'OOB' to save time, without the addition of further, scratch-built details, except perhaps for seat harnesses. The main decals will be from the kit, with the addition of the Squadron's 'fighter bars' applied as thin, red decal stripes over white-painted panels.

The pics below show what a NF.14 looked like, this example being preserved at Newark Air Museum, along with the kit box art, and the sprues as supplied.
I've made a start on cleaning-up the parts, and will start assembly and painting of the cockpit areas tomorrow.

Meteor NF.14 72nd scale build.jpg
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 001.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 004.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 006.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 008.JPG

Well I'm really looking forward to the relief of, having delivered them on 31st May, getting on the aircraft to Groningen on June 2nd !!!

So, the work begins. Fairly basic parts, so fairly basic work and painting, with the main cockpit parts assembled and painted 'scale black', with some pure black for contrast, cockpit installed and fuselage joined, and the fuselage insert fitted, and the joints sanded, after filling with CA adhesive.

PIC 1. Main cockpit assembly and interior of fuselage painted. The upper section of the radar, and the instrument panel, were fitted later, on the fuselage insert, but I forgot to photograph the instrument panel !
PICS 2 and 3. The cockpit assembly, with some paint wear on the seats, and very basic highlighting, with simple, painted seat harnesses. The control column is a tad large - more like 1/48th scale !
Pic 4. The fuselage assembled, with the insert for the sliding canopy alongside. I'm always very wary of fuselage inserts, as, however well engineered they might be, fit is rarely perfect..
PIC 5. This insert was no exception, and needed to be attacked with two types of jeweler's file, and then sanded and polished after it set. The black line is paint from the interior.
PICS 6 and 7. With the sanding done until the joints had virtually disappeared, except the transverse joints, which I expected, a thin coat of white enamel was roughly brushed on, to check for any remaining gaps.
PIC 8. Although the main fuselage joint is very close to acceptable, and should disappear once primer and paint are applied, the front and rear transverse joints, as expected, need a little more work. I'll probably fill these when the nose cone and fin are fitted, so that all the work can be done at the same time.

That's it for now, but I hope to get a lot more done tomorrow.
Thanks for looking.

Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 009.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 010.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 011.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 012.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 014.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 016.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 017.JPG
Meteor NF.14 72nd scale 46 Sqn 019.JPG

In my ignorance, I thinks it is a very strange aircraft.
Pending to what you can teach us Terry, and continue learning from so many formidable military aircraft.
Regards. :thumbup:

Thanks Luis, and yes, it was a bit of a strange one.
Starting with the NF.11, there was a need for a 'stop gap' night fighter, until the eventual arrival of the Javelin 'all weather' fighter. so Gloster basically took the fuselage of the trainer version, added the tail unit of the F.8, used the longer-span wings, and grafted a new 'radome' nose onto the front, moving the four, 20 mm cannons out to the wings. The nose got progressively longer from the NF.11, through the NF.12 to the final version, the NF.14, due to the fitting of improved radar equipment.
And note that all versions lacked ejection seats !

Thanks Andy and Kirby - and as for tired, I'm knackered !
If any of you consider doing four builds in succession, with a short production schedule - DON'T DO IT !!!

The new compressor is due to arrive today, according to the courier's tracking service, so I'll get a bit more done on this one, and then get back to the NF.12 when the compressor arrives - I hope !

Thanks Wojtek.
The new compressor has arrived (pic in the NF.12 thread), so I'll finish off the sanding on the fuselage of this one, and get back to the NF.12.

I have noticed the image with the copressor in. I had a such one while working on the 1/24 Bf 109E model. Now I use a similar one but with the bottle. Both of them have been working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back