A380 Wake Vortex Steering Group Findings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
ATW Daily News

A380 wake vortex study provides some good news for Airbus

Friday September 29, 2006

A380 wake turbulence is not as serious an issue as ICAO has feared, based on the findings of the Airbus Wake Vortex Steering Group, which the manufacturer released yesterday.

ICAO, in an interim recommendation, called for 10 nm. of separation between an A380 on approach and a following aircraft (ATWOnline, June 15). However, the Steering Group, which comprised representatives from the European JAA, Eurocontrol, US FAA and Airbus, will recommend that this distance "only be applied to light aircraft." The current standard is 6 nm.

In situations where the A380 is followed by a "heavy" aircraft, the group will recommend spacing be increased from 4 nm. under the existing rule to 6 nm. and from 5 nm. to 8 nm. for a medium-sized aircraft. However, Airbus said, "the A380 can land as close as practicable to the preceding aircraft," even another A380, "and this can compensate for the additional spacing required for the following one."

For departures, a heavy aircraft following an A380 will have to wait 2 min. and medium-sized and light aircraft will have to wait 3 min. Airbus noted again that the A380 can take off "as close as possible to any preceding airliner."

For cruise and when flying in a holding pattern, the A380 is "very similar to the 747" and "is considered to be identical to any other aircraft both for vertical and horizontal spacing." ICAO had recommended separation of 10 nm.

Airbus said further that while not specifically addressed by the Steering Group, "flight tests provided no indication of impact on parallel runway operations for runways separated by more than 760 m. (2,500 ft.)," although it added that "this should be monitored in operational service for verification."

that's good news as i knew a while back there were fears few would be wanted because it'd slow down operations at airports so much................

The 2500ft parallel spacing restriction seems interesting too. Initially probably not problem, but I wish I had airport stats on parallel runways. That seems like quite a space and is not likely a problem for most. But...

...For departures, a heavy aircraft following an A380 will have to wait 2 min. and medium-sized and light aircraft will have to wait 3 min. Airbus noted again that the A380 can take off "as close as possible to any preceding airliner."...

Thats hardly good news as it will add to already congested taxiway's.

Airports have to accomdate everyone who is allowed to operate from the airport.

6 minutes spacing between a light and a heavy is a long 6 minutes without parrallel runways your rwy acceptance rate or the number of movements an hour you can accept will drop . Thats a pretty big whale floundering out in that concrete maze of an airport

most of the airports big enough to take this beast deal mostly with larger aircraft anyway, and the A380's ability to immediatly follow other planes will make up some time.........

I hope I never have to fly on one. I can't imagine the queueing necessary to embark/disembark. A frigging nightmare. 747 is bad enough.

...and now with increased security, queueing for baggage. Ugh! I friggin hate traveling and have to do too much of it for work. I need a new job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back