A6M5 from 'Junyo' - Battle of the Philippine Sea

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ColesAircraft

Airman 1st Class
Here's a new art piece; thought I'd share it with you all. It depicts an A6M5 'Zero' at dawn of June 19, 1944 warming-up on the deck of CVL 'Junyo.'

Thanks!!

- Ron

2010-ZERO3-NEW-600x410.jpg

Last edited:
Great painting

Dave, to an extent what you say is true....there would be doubt in every mans mind. However, as a gneralization, the aviators in Ozawas command were confident of victory. Even after the disasters of that day, Ozawa believed he had inflicted great dmage on the US carrier forces. He got this erroneous information mostly from the returning airmen. There was a widespread assumption that the land based air units were working over the US carriers, to finish the job started by the carrier air groups

Wow. Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Question: "Do you have you posted others?"

2010-Ki84-LR-708x440.jpg

2010-iwo-LR-772x471.jpg

I actually do this pretty much full time these days. I'm doing a series for the Wings Museum in Surrey, UK for their grand reopening in March: P-63, "Kate", B-25, "Oscar", and A-20 - all from the North Pacific Front at the end of WW2.

- Ron

Lovely picture! If this were an original photograph, the cruiser would be evidence that our accounts of the battle are incomplete as it is clearly one of Haguro or Myoko, which are generally believed to have accompanied Ozawa's force, Taiho, Zuikaku and Shokaku, rather than Joshima's Junyo and Hiyo. However, here we clearly have a Myoko rather than Mogami alongside Junyo.

Happy New Year and beware of pedants!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back