Academy 1/72 IL-2 Sturmovik Single-Seater VVS/Eastern Front Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Academy
Model Type: Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik
Accessories: none
Decals: provided with the kit

I've been really looking forward to this group build, so here's my entry - Academy IL-2 Sturmovik single-seater in 1/72 scale. Must say I'm really impressed with this kit as it is highly detailed for this scale. Cockpit details are superb. Decal sheet offers options for 11 different aircraft - nine in Soviet markings and two for examples captured by the Germans and Hungarians. I still haven't definitely decided which particular aircraft I'm going to build, but probably it's going to be "Yellow 82" with inscription "BАЛЕРИИ ЧКАЛОВ" as shown on the box art. (The inscriptions often seen on Soviet aircraft were either names of fallen comrades or patriotic slogans. In this case it's the name Valery Chkalov.)
I'll start working on this one probably by the beginning of next month after I finish my entries for Night fighter/Commonwealth Group Build.

Attachments

• IL - 1_01.jpg
    IL - 1_01.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 519
  • IL - 1_02.jpg
    IL - 1_02.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 382
  • IL - 1_03.jpg
    IL - 1_03.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
The aircraft which was to become the scourge of German ground forces on the Eastern front was designed by Sergey Ilyushin and his team of Central Design Bureau under factory designation TsKB-55/57. The first prototype of new aircraft made its maiden flight with Vladimit K.Kokkinaki at the controls on 2nd October 1939. It was strong, all-metal aircraft, powered by AM-38 inline liquid cooled 1680HP engine with accommodation for a pilot and a rear gunner.The outstanding feature of it's design was an armored shell/"bathtub" to protect the most vunerable and vital parts of the aircraft - the crew, engine, fuel tanks and oil system. This protective shell was to be an integral part of the airframe and not an addition to it.
First production examples of new aircraft, by this time designated IL-2, left the assembly lines in March 1941. Production aircraft differed from prototypes however. Due to the sortage of strategic materials wooden parts were used for wings and rear fuselage and to ease mass production IL-2 became a single seater. After the start of hostilities with Nazi Germany IL-2 proved very successful in its intended ground attack role. Despite suffering heavy loses themselves (especially in early part of the war), Sturmoviks were inflicting massive damage to the Germans and thus provided large contribution to the Soviet war effort. Stalin is reported to have stated that Sturmovik is "necessary like air, like bread".
In the meantime development of IL-2 continued; rear gunner was reintroduced, more powerfull engines were used, more armor and redesigned wings were introduced. In an improved version designated IL-2M, Sturmovik continued to provide valuable service to the Soviet Air Force by the end of the war. When production ended over 36.000 examples of basic IL-2 and 10.000 examples of improved IL-10 were build, making the Sturmovik the most produced aircraft in aviation history.

Here's the selection of pictures from various sources showing early single-seat IL-2s, including first prototype TsKB-55, and one three-view line drawing.

Attachments

• IL - 1_08.jpg
    IL - 1_08.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 468
  • IL - 1_07.jpg
    IL - 1_07.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 361
  • IL - 1_06.jpg
    IL - 1_06.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 331
  • IL - 1_05.jpg
    IL - 1_05.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 327
  • IL - 1_04.jpg
    IL - 1_04.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Nice Igor! I wasn't even aware that Academy
made a 1/72nd Sturmovik. It its any thing like the rest of there line of WWII aircraft it should be an excellent kit.

Will see how it'll do once I start assembling it, but so far by the looks of it appears to be a great kit indeed Glenn. I have 1/72nd Zvezda Sturmovik in two-seat variant and tough it's also nice kit it fades in comparison with this one.

Very nice Igor, looks an interesting build with plenty of interesting background to go with it.

Attachments

• col.jpg
    col.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 313
  • col2.jpg
    col2.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 336
Cheer mates!
Wotan, thanks for your input. Actually, out of the nine different Sturmoviks for which decals are provided with this kit only four are indeed given in black/green color scheme. As for IL-2 "Yellow 82" with inscription "BАЛЕРИИ ЧКАЛОВ" (which is also shown on the box art), details given for this Sturmovik say it was an aircraft of unknown unit operating in Estonia in 1944. Don't know how many single-seat Sturmoviks were still operational in 1944, but if this datas are correct then it fits into the time frame you mentioned and painting instructions are therefore correct.

Last edited:
Cheer mates!
Wotan, thanks for your input. Actually, out of the six different Sturmoviks for which decals are provided with this kit only one is indeed given in black/green color scheme. As for IL-2 "Yellow 82" with inscription "БАЛЕРИИ ЧКАЛОВ" (which is also shown on the box art), details given for this Sturmovik say it was an aircraft of unknown unit operating in Estonia in 1944. Don't know how many single-seat Sturmoviks were still operational in 1944, but if this datas are correct then it fits into the time frame you mentioned and painting instructions are therefore correct.

...."ВАЛЕРИИ ЧКАЛОВ" Valeriy

On July 3, 1943 Order of the People's Commissariat of Aviation Industry №389, the Air Force introduced the three-color color scheme.
AMT-1, AMT-4, AMT-12 For wooden and linen surfaces of a covering, and analog for metal surfaces of a covering A21/24/32

color brownish-green has never been

Attachments

• Приказ НКАП 389.jpg
    Приказ НКАП 389.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 302
  • ord2.jpg
    ord2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 330
  • ord3.jpg
    ord3.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
I made a typing error when writing Valeriy's name (rectified it now)... Well, you do present a strong case there and I must admit I'm not familiar with details regarding color schemes of Soviet aircraft (though it's never too late to learn something new). Since I don't have any actual photo of "Yellow 82" I can't make definitive judgment and don't want to assume anything. So, I'll probably gonna pick another aircraft to do, something with black/green color scheme then. Actually that could prove rather interesting. Not a big problem anyway, got multiple options to choose from. :)

I made a typing error when writing Valeriy's name (rectified it now)... Well, you do present a strong case there and I must admit I'm not familiar with details regarding color schemes of Soviet aircraft (though it's never too late to learn something new). Since I don't have any actual photo of "Yellow 82" I can't make definitive judgment and don't want to assume anything. So, I'll probably gonna pick another aircraft to do, something with black/green color scheme then. Actually that could prove rather interesting. Not a big problem anyway, got multiple options to choose from. :)

Color the Soviet Air Force during 1930-1950
??? [???????????? ??????? ???????]

You can always ask here:
????? ????????? ???????! : ????? ?????????? : ??????? ?????????? ?????? - ScaleModels.ru

: ????? ?????????? : ??????? ?????????? ?????? - ScaleModels.ru

/

Igor, I purchased the same model today for a local Capcon next September. I went online looking for reviews and stumbled on this site. I look forward to see how you progress.
Prijatno, Djordje

Zdravo Đorđe i dobro došao na forum! (Hello and welcome to the forum.) :D
Unfortunately I haven't done anything with this kit yet. I'm currently working on my other group build entry, but hope to start with this one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back