Academy 1/72 OV-10A Bronco (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JohnAnthony

Senior Airman
Jul 26, 2010
This is something that I started last summer. I got frustrated with it for various reasons and put it away but now I'm looking at the build and thinking I could probably finish it while I'm waiting for all the paint and lacquer to dry on the Mosquito. Here's a pic of the cockpit.

003zm.jpg

The details are decent and the decals for the controls are sufficient in this scale. The side panels are blank though...

001nwu.jpg

This tooling has significant gaps between the fuselage, wing, and sponsons. I didn't do the best job in the world filling them, which partly led to my frustrations...

002rkl.jpg

Here are a few pieces assembled, filled, sanded...

005oq.jpg

The airframe all together and primed...

update1y.jpg

Paint on, ordnance work etc.

update3j.jpg

Gear added...

update7.jpg

Canopy tinted...

update6.jpg

Decals went on...

update1j.jpg

I over-weathered the wing and ended up stripping it, losing the decals as well. These wing decals belong to the Marines version not the USAF so now it's sort of a cross breed...

update3.jpg

External stores...

update4.jpg

So ths is where I left it...

update5.jpg

I think I got frustrated with this build because I had some vision of perfection that it just didn't measure up to. Now that I've got a few kits under my belt I'm thinking it's not too bad despite all the little fussy mistakes. I was aiming for a one-incher but maybe at my skill level a one-footer is perfectly ok...

Last edited:
It looks good 8)

I am something of a perfectionist sometimes, with expectations that my skills don't yet match. I learned my lesson in building a 1/72 scale Sea Fury. It took longer to build than the Empire State Building, as I tinkered and messed, particularly with the paintwork, and also with the cowling - I spent hours getting the sprue stubs off then messing about trying to make sure it was perfectly round. The end result is undoubtedly the worst-looking kit on my shelf. I learned at this point to be a little more relaxed and to be careful but not obsessive. That's why the Mustang looks a lot better! :lol:

I didn't enjoy the Sea Fury build - that was a wake-up call. I do this hobby to relax after work, life and all the rest of it. If the hobby isn't enjoyable, there's not much point in doing it! :lol: I like to be accurate and get the detail in, but it has to be enjoyable.

It looks good 8)

I am something of a perfectionist sometimes, with expectations that my skills don't yet match. I learned my lesson in building a 1/72 scale Sea Fury. It took longer to build than the Empire State Building, as I tinkered and messed, particularly with the paintwork, and also with the cowling - I spent hours getting the sprue stubs off then messing about trying to make sure it was perfectly round. The end result is undoubtedly the worst-looking kit on my shelf. I learned at this point to be a little more relaxed and to be careful but not obsessive. That's why the Mustang looks a lot better! :lol:

That's exactly the problem I was having - looking at specs of the plane and noticing every little detail that the kit didn't measure up to and criticizing my work at every level. I've discovered that I'm not a rivet counter and I've also discovered how to relax a bit. Modeling is all a fantasy world, there's no need to get uptight about it.

Ok thanks guys. I appreciate the encouragement on this forum. I'm nearing the completion of this one - a little sanding and filling on the windscreen, a bit of fine detailing and a couple of antennas. Hopefully I can wrap it up this weekend. Managed to break off a propeller blade but it's nothing that can't be fixed..

009ra.jpg

Looks good. One thing that I have concluded about this forum is that your audience is very kind. There are so many levels of talent here and each seeks his own level. Me? I'm more of an out of the box guy, but others enjoy the research and authentic replication as much or more than the model construction itself. Both are admirable. Don't be discouraged and please continue to post your builds. All comments are constructive so don't take offense. It's how we all learn. And I can tell you, I have learned A LOT from forum members.

Well I'm calling this one done today. I had to make some corrections - turns out I used the wrong decal for the walkway - the USAF markings have it ADC gray, so that got changed. I also repaired the broken propeller and a few gear doors that I dislodged during the process. Added antennas, finished the canopy (not a perfect fit but I did my best), and the pitot tube.

I learned an important lesson from this project: it's much easier to build a kit if you don't make mistakes, so I'm going to refrain from doing that anymore. :p

broncox.jpg

Last edited:
It looks good from this John ;) I need to breakout of the WWII and pre-WWII stuff I guess thats why busted into nautical world alittle.Cheers

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll add one more pic and then I'm done, promise. Decided to tack on the Sidewinders after all...

broncohs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back