According to Elon Musk the fighter jet is dead LOL

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

taly01

Senior Airman
Sep 5, 2016
Australia
"The fighter jet era has passed," Musk said, according to CNBC. "Drone warfare is where the future will be.

Just how capable is the S-400 or Patriot-3 etc? Flying at KM/sec and 20G makes it sound unavoidable to human pilots. The factors at these speeds are hard to humanely comprehend. Is a SAM a drone or pilotless aircraft?

The Patriot missile battery at Dhahran had been in operation for 100 hours, by which time the system's internal clock had drifted by one-third of a second. Due to the missile's speed this was equivalent to a miss distance of 600 meters.

Just how capable is the S-400 or Patriot-3 etc? Flying at KM/sec and 20G makes it sound unavoidable to human pilots. The factors at these speeds are hard to humanely comprehend. Is a SAM a drone or pilotless aircraft?

First, any anti aircraft system has to be able to track it's target, stealth and ECM can still provide that. Sure, you can build a drone that can pull 20Gs but if it's tracked and killed 50 miles before entering the combat zone, so much for that!

I don't believe the manned fighter will be completely replaced by drones but I think drones will supplement the mission.

1) Elon Musk is a twatwaffle. The less said, the better.

2) Drones will be most of future air warfare. Manned airplanes will still have a vital role, I believe, but it will be as a junior partner.

3) Whether we call SAMs "drones" or not doesn't change their impact on the combat space.

SAMs are just that: surface to air missiles.

A drone by definition, is a pilotless aircraft.

To put it into WWII perspective:
The V-2 was a missile, the V-1 was a cruise missile and the USN's TDR-1 was a drone.
A drone can also be a pilotless ship or submarine, not just an aircraft.

Elon Musk says all sorts of things: Some of them are contradictory. I've heard him say that AI development would be akin to summoning a demon, you think you can control it, but can't; then he develops it.

Ultimately, there is some danger in creating general artificial superintelligence, as well as artificial intelligence in weapon systems, but the point I was saying was that he contradicts himself willy-nilly.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he has some vision for getting into the fighter-jet market lol

1) Elon Musk is a twatwaffle. The less said, the better.

2) Drones will be most of future air warfare. Manned airplanes will still have a vital role, I believe, but it will be as a junior partner.

3) Whether we call SAMs "drones" or not doesn't change their impact on the combat space.
Twatwaffle? Compared to you, perhaps.

In theory AI should not mistakes that humans are capable of, but I still wouldn't have a sleep while driving a Tesla on autopilot down a freeway because AI/computers do really complex tasks in a dumb way (ie. can process lots of inputs 1000 times a second), but there will be some inputs they don't even measure that a human will observe.

I don't think AI fighters would be superiour thinkers to humans its just the plane/drone they fly would have better performance as it would be lighter and pull G without human concerns.

In theory AI should not mistakes that humans are capable of, but I still wouldn't have a sleep while driving a Tesla on autopilot down a freeway because AI/computers do really complex tasks in a dumb way (ie. can process lots of inputs 1000 times a second), but there will be some inputs they don't even measure that a human will observe.

I don't think AI fighters would be superiour thinkers to humans its just the plane/drone they fly would have better performance as it would be lighter and pull G without human concerns.
AI should have faster reaction times.

The subject "fighters are dead" was already brought up nearly 70 years ago when stand off weapons capable of (semi)autonomous operation were introduced.

What taly01 says is an often overlooked aspect of artificial intelligence. Unlike humans, an AI cannot get distracted, it may have better sensors and may have even a faster response. But the 'distraction' and curiosity, together with experience of the human mind make it capable of anticipating events a simple algorithm cannot.

A simple example: if I see a group of kids playing near a road I instinctively slow down, not because there is an immediate danger, but because some of them may decide to do something stupid such as chasing a ball in the middle of the road. An AI would just concentrate on the road till it registers an obstacle and it may be already too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back