Accurate Miniatures Yak 1b - 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

klugi

Airman 1st Class
Dec 23, 2013
Kitchener, Ontario
As part of a larger project I am building a Yak 1b in the paint scheme of the 1st Fighter Aviation Regiment of the Polish Airforce. I have gone through I am about half way through the build... guess its time to post a few pictures. In advance i'd like to apologize for the length of the first post...

I started off by removing the tail feathers
Photo+3-21-2014%252C+22+30+19.jpg

Reworked the LE of the rudder
IMG_0734.jpg

I moved on to the cockpit
IMG_0759.jpg

It appears that the Polish Yaks had afew differences from the one represented by the AM kit so i started modifications. I made a side pocket from some tin and wire insulation.
IMG_0763.jpg

In order to fit it the first aid kit had to be removed.
IMG_0762.jpg

The Polish Yaks retained the oval grip on the control stick so I decided to modify the kit one...
IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

I also added a harness made from Tamyia tape and some wire to the chair
IMG_0782.jpg

I then moved on to fitting the cockpit to the fuse. The armour glass was sitting to low so I added a sheet of styrene, this allowed me to correct the shape as well as the plans did not show the V shape represented by the kit.
IMG_0805.jpg

Once complete I started fitting the radiator to the fuselage, the kit had the rad molded with the cockpit but i detached it to make fitting easier. The toothpick is glued on just to make positioning easier..
IMG_0808.jpg

The fuselage halves were glued together, using some styrene to spread the nose section, the radiator was glued in and the cockpit structure inserted for the last time.
P1060754.jpg

That being complete it was time to attach the wings
O-BC517uRj1JOELwGUdEKd3BXBJJ2zEYGai9XDd5rkQ=w2187-h1641-no.jpg

Next came the rudder and the turtle deck
IMG_0842.jpg

I then moved on to the compressor intake, the AM one is incorrect for this version of the Yak. Comparing pictures of different aircraft it appears that there were many versions. Here is my first attempt.
intake.jpg

It looked OK but needed to be moved down slightly.
IMG_0852.jpg

While waiting for the putty to dry I decided to tackle the machine gun, AM made the channel in which the barrel sits in in a very strange shape...
IMG_0866.jpg

I replaced it with some brass tubing
IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

While the putty is curing i decided to make a barrel - i cut a hypodermic needle and glued into a aluminium tube that slides in to the brass channel.
IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

So here we are, all up to date... I will try to make my next posts shorter :D
Cheers

Last edited:
Good stuff! I like the way you dealt with the gun trough.

N4521U said:
All in on go as well

Sorry for the confusion, the post was in one go - the build has been going on for a while...

The gun barrel above may be scrapped, looking at some more reference material there is a shroud that covers the barrel and protrudes out of the trough. Here is the new version.

IMG_0875.jpg

The image below is from a Yak 1 not 1b but its similar - the difference being the slant on the shroud
46875_original.3hmlblcwms8ws440sc8ko4skw.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpg

Keeping up with all the changes between series of the Jak 1 is proving a challenge - the rarity of photos of the specific examples isn't helping either...

Cheers,
Luke

It's been a while since I had a chance do do anything to the Yak. In what little time I had for modeling I've tried scribing a panel line around the gun trough a few times but i am not satisfied with the result. The biggest issue is that I tried to fix something after the first line and ended up filling over it. I've tried several fillers but they all flake off to a greater or lesser degree when re-scribing again making uneven lines. I have decided to live with what I have and move on with the build. The next item on the list was the gun sight. The AM one was not really correct and it lacked detail.. below is my attempt

this is the original
sov04a.jpg

and here is what AM produced
P1080466.jpg

I cut off the extra box on the right of the sight, thinned and polished the glass and added the mechanism on the left.
P1080556.jpg

P1080562.jpg

P1080566.jpg

I also polished masked and mounted the canopy.

P1080567.jpg

I am looking forward to getting back into the build.

Last edited:
How well Luke (klugi) !! :shock:
I insist that the details of the cockpit and the gun sight looks very good. :thumbup:

I remain aware of what is to follow.

Saludos amigo.
SANCER

Beautiful work.

Thanks,
Your best bet for repairing a panel line might be to fill it with CA glue, sand smooth, and rescribe.

That's what I've done but for some reason when i start scribing the CA seems to chip. The line is curved as is the surface which doesn't seem to help. Maybe I will tackle it again before I paint, but for now I will take a break from the trough and tackle the landing gear.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back