Aces Aircraft of WW2 Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Has anyone given this Group Build any thought yet?

I'm thinking of using one of the 1/48 scale Tamiya P-47s or P-51s that I have in my stash, but as far as who's mount to do, right now there's a vast amount of possibilities.

Kinda flipping a five sided coin myself. Can't decide between a P-38L Lightning, an F4f Wildcat (surprise), an A6M2 Type 21 Zero, a Gloster Gladiator or something else entirely.

I have two that I'm planning on building. A 1/48 Tamiya Corsair in FAA markings as flown by the little-known Leslie Durno of Toronto, the first FAA Corsair ace and the first FAA pilot to get 5 kills against the Japanese. I'm also building a 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito "Hairless Joe" of 418 Squadron, RCAF flown by Russ Bannock.

My good fellow, I've been giving a thought to all future group builds and not just this one... :lol:

Deciding between Bf 109 (yes another one, but no WW2 aircraft screams aces mount as this one) and Hawker Tempest for this one myself. Pilots - Ludwig Franzisket Pierre Clostermann. If I have enough time I might do both!

Last edited:
Well now, I am up to my usual outsidethebox concepts.............
A Yak-1b, The white rose of Stalingrad!!!!!!!

Lydia Litvyak from Wikipedia. Lydia Vladimirovna Litvyak, August 18, 1921 – August 1, 1943, also known as Lydia Litviak or Lilya Litviak, was a fighter pilot in the Soviet Air Force during World War II. With 12 solo victories (but some authors say 11 or even 13, and either two, or four shared) gained in 66 combat missions. She is one of the world's only two female fighter aces, along with Katya Budanova.

Lydia flew several different Yaks, white 02, red 32, yellows 44, white 23 which was her last ride. She was responsible for taking three German aces out of service, one 30 kill ace killed and 82 kill ace force landed and one 11 kill ace who became a POW.

I am working on getting a 1/48th Accurate Miniatures Yak-1b. But the bloody numbers in what I need to find. Preferably white 23, anyone got any to spare????

*Red alert! I have found a decal sheet with a white 32 on fleabay... I can make a 23 out of them, yes?!!!!!

Whadayah think?

Last edited:
Got my eye on some ex USN Buffalo's delivered to the Finnish Airforce sometime in 1939 and designated B-239s. Have a number of aces who scored quite high with these machines, top of the list is Eino Ilmari "Illu" Juutilainen of 3rd Flight "Knight Flight" LeLv 24 (Fighter Squadron 24) with his Orange 4 (BW-364) or a lesser acclaimed champion Sgt.H.Lampi, Tiiksjarvi of Unit: 2/LeLv 24 in his Orange 6 (BW-354).

It will be a late entry build though, early to mid November due to being away for the preceding couple of months.

Funny you should ask Glenn as I was just going through a bunch of possibilities and references myself. I'm likely going to do a Canadian ace and it's just a matter of narrowing down the multiple possibilties.

Glenn do George Preddy or J.C. Meyer :D

If I get caught up enough I may throw in a FW-190 or P-51B... as far who I am gonna do I have no clue.

I thought George Preddy's "Cripes A'Mighty 3rd" was one of my P-51D kit options, but when I went and looked at it turned out to be John C. Meyer's "Petie 2nd" so that's a definite possibility.

I have one small question for the mods. Does the plane in question have to be flown by the pilot when he was an ace or can it be a plane flown before that exhaulted status was achieved? The reason I ask is that David Lee "Tex" Hill was a Naval Aviator flying yellow wing TBD-1's and SB2U-2's before the P-40E and P-51D days and that would be kind of cool to do. There are as many examples of such (maybe not as extreme) as there are aces. Everybody flew something before they were an ace. Where is the line drawn?

have put my Mosquito on hold so i can do it as 21 sqdn's YH A flown by Bob Braham on the day he was shot down, ive been planning this for ages and have already bummed the decals off Terry !!!!!
i may also chuck in Bader's Spitfire Va as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back