AD-4 skyraider

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woody

Master Sergeant
Jan 17, 2011
IL.
what offerings are out there in 1/32 scale AD-4 skyraider i have seen some 1/72 and 1/48 but i really want 1/32 if possible thanks.

The Zoukei Mura offers 1/32 A-1H Skyraider.....

IMG_0001.JPG

Thanks Wurger for the input whats the difference between the AD-4 and A-1H thanks.

Woody, my aircraft, saved my young arse more than once in Vietnam. The first production Skyraiders were all designated as AD from 1 to 7. the AD-4 was given a more powerful engine, the -5 was widened to allow a 2 seater version (AD-3N a threeseater and the AD-5N was a fourseater). The -6 had upgrades to improve low-level bombing and the final -7 was given an even more powerful engine. The last Skyraider was built in 1962 at which time all existing planes were redesignated an A-1D through J, the old -1 through -7

Yep Mike is right.

The main diference is the name of the Skyrider type. Here you are these equivalents.. so the A-1H mean it was AD-6. B ut AD-6 was nothing more like AD-4 with improvement.

AD-4N: A-1D
AD-5: A-1E
AD-5W: EA-1E
AD-5Q: EA-1F
AD-5 target tug: UA-1E
AD-5N: A-1G
AD-6: A-1H
AD-7: A-1J

Here you are AD-4 variants....

AD-4 AD-3 with R-3350-26WA engine, 4 cannon.
AD-4B Nuclear-capable AD-4
AD-4N (A-1D) Night attack AD-4.
AD-4Q ECM version of AD-4.
AD-4W AKA AEW.1, AEW version of AD-4.
AD-4L Winterized AD-4 with deicing boots.
AD-4NL Winterized AD-4N with deicing boots.
AD-4NA Day attack AD-4N.

And here the next info...

AD-6 (A-1H) AD-4 with various improvements.

to sum up... it shouldn't be difficult to make the model as a AD-4, if you wish . I think the kit includes parts for other variants of the Skyrider as well.

Last edited:
Yep ... I have seen pictures of the box contents... really quite nice pack.

And here is a copy of a page from Squadron/Signal book of the In action series for the Skyrider. I think it can be helpful for Woody. It seems that the armour at the central area of the AD-6 fuselage is the main difference from the AD-4 variant.

ah1.jpg

I'm not sure if it can be 'proved' by pics of the actual kit, but didn't Trumpeter also have a big scale Skyraider in the works? I think stories about a Trumpy Skyraider have been doing the rounds for a few years now, but little evidence beyond CAD drawings has surfaced sofar, and I'm not sure if it will see the light of day anytime soon (it's still to be found on many kit release tables as a TBA kit for 2012/2013) but still....it couldn't hurt to try and look up any details on a potential Trumpy offering in the near future.

Last edited:
Thanks you guys. my dad served on the USS antietam cv 36 during Korean war as a AEAN which is i think electrical on aircraft he wasnt a pilot but i would like to build some of the aircraft he might have worked on.

Got to love the Able Dog, Spad, the Flying Dump Truck, etc., etc... One of my and me dads favourite taildraggers! 8)

Attachments

• DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back