Add Air Regulator to Air Compressor.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bucksnort101

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 11, 2007
Minnesota
Wondering if I can add an air regualtor to a Badger Compressor I've had for several years. Compressor has runs continuously in order to pump air so not sure if a regulator can be added to this type of compressor in order to regulater spraying PSI? Any ideas?
Hate to buy a new, expensive compressor to be able to spray at different PSI's for various projects.

If the air regualtor can work with the air pressure range that can give the Badger Compressor , you can add it to that.

Wondering if I can add an air regualtor to a Badger Compressor I've had for several years. Compressor has runs continuously in order to pump air so not sure if a regulator can be added to this type of compressor in order to regulater spraying PSI? Any ideas?
Hate to buy a new, expensive compressor to be able to spray at different PSI's for various projects.

The simplest method would be to attach a Tee fitting to the outlet port of the compressor. One side of the Tee is where you'd attach the air line to the air brush. On the other would be a small brass valve. When running, open the valve to an extent that will give you adequate pressure to the airbrush. The valve will also serve to remove much of the pulsation and as the expansion orifice for water to escape. A regulator could be used but the internal diaphragm would take a beating from the localized heated air, air pulsation and compressor vibration in general. You're better off, really, getting a better compressor that's equipped with a reservoir, safety valve, pressure regulator, pressure shut-off switch and water separator. Those little tankless compressors are barely adequate to the job.

Alternatively, there are now small, in-line regulators available, incorporating a hand grip, and i think a moisture trap The following UK company produce one, at around £14 Sterling. but not sure about any U.S, sources.
everythingairbrush.com
But, as Sweb stated, many of the small, tankless compressors only put out a relatively low pressure anyway, and probably wouldn't really benefit from a pressure regulator. By the time you've bought a regulator/moisture trap, and possibly any adaptor fitting(s) required, for a little extra, it's probably worthwhile buying a compressor already fitted with the regulator etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back