Admiral Kuznetzov coal fired?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Basket

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 27, 2007
How many tonnes of coal does the Admiral Kuznersov get through per day? Does it have a collier with it?
For a modern ship it smokes likes it's on fire.

If you compare those pictures with pictures of real coal fired ships from the pre WW1 era, you'll realize that smoke isn't anything in comparison.
It's just a badly adjusted/ wornout oil burner.

That ship has a history of problems.
That smoke must play havoc on aircraft in the landing pattern.

USS New York (BB-34) underway, circa 1916

image.jpg

The Admiral Kuznetzov is usually accompanied by an ocean-going tug in it's task force, too.

Problem is the show.
The ship obviously has serious issues with its engines.
Danger for its own aircraft plus it can be seen from miles away with its smoke. The Russian wants us to fear the carrier task force but it looks like in a poor state. If the engines are knackered what else don't work?

They should name her "old smokey"! :lol:

I'm sure the Russians are proud of her, but in reality, it's roughly half the displacement of a U.S. carrier and if you total up all the tonnage of just the U.S. CVNs (at least 100,000 tons each), it would probably be more than the entire Russian Navy...

I don't know why, but Russian ships nearly always make more smoke than western ships.....I remember making that very observation whilst standing on the bridge of the Melbourne, and thinking those guys are really making their position known

Here's a video of the Kuznetsov being taken under tow when her engines failed back in 2012 on the return voyage from Syria. She was adrift in the Bay of Biscay and the heavy tug (one of which always accompanies the Kuznetsov task force) Niikolay Chiker moves in to set up a towline and get the carrier under way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back