Aerial Warfare: Korean War

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zipper730

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 9, 2015
Though I know of the bombing raids in World War II, there was so little mention of the bombing raids in Korea. Almost all the discussion usually centers on F-86's and MiG-15's battling each other in air-to-air combat.

I'm curious if there's anybody has any information, or sources of information that cover the air war in it's entirety over Korea?

upload_2017-4-12_17-28-33.png

upload_2017-4-12_17-29-35.png

Nothing on bombers though

Though I know of the bombing raids in World War II, there was so little mention of the bombing raids in Korea. Almost all the discussion usually centers on F-86's and MiG-15's battling each other in air-to-air combat.

I'm curious if there's anybody has any information, or sources of information that cover the air war in it's entirety over Korea?

There's plenty;

Recollections of RB-29, Korean War, Early Cold War - Related Stories

Amazon product ASIN 1841760803View: https://www.amazon.com/Invader-Units-Osprey-Frontline-Colour/dp/1841760803

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This one looks much better...

Now that looks like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing, Fubar. Might have to add that one to the library.

Couple of others to add to the list:

"Black Tuesday Over Namsi: B-29s vs MiGs" by Earl McGill - title says it all, really.
"Korean Air War" by Robert Dorr - general history of the air conflict.
"Red Wings over the Yalu" by Xiaoming Zhang - overview of Chinese air ops over Korea.
"Furies and Fireflies Over Korea" by Graham Thomas - coverage of the British and Commonwealth piston aircraft contribution to the Korean War.
"Night Fighters Over Korea" by G.G. O'Rourke - personal account of a Marine F3D-2 pilot flying night ops over Korea.

Yeah...it's the collation of proceedings from a symposium with expert panels on a range of topics related to the subject. So, while not a comprehensive history of the air campaign, it probably has some interesting insights.

FlyboyJ's links from a site managed by a Wayland Mayo, who was a tail-gunner and reconnaissance in the B-29's were kind of useful, though I'm curious about the details about the raids themselves.

I remember reading on Wikipedia (I know, I hate saying it) that the initial tonnage was fairly small from July to November, and then increased to over 600,000 tons of bombs and almost 33,000 tons of napalm: Was the early bombing campaign a selective bombing (specific targets) with the later shift to area bombing?

I read the synopsis and found something that I had a hunch about: The USAF was built around total war, but little provision for anything else.

The idea of "The New Look" was based on massive retaliation with large and small nuclear bombs in huge numbers. I was under the impression it was to offset the cost of large amounts of aircraft and bombs, relying on high-tech systems (and high kill-ratios) and nuclear bombs.

I did not know it was based on the results of Korea; merely the development of small nukes.

Message deleted, I found my answer on this...

Last edited:
Regarding the Army's idea on CAS: Their idea seemed to revolve around the idea of having control over CAS higher up in the hierarchical structuring whereas the USMC favored it fairly low.

I'm surprised that the idea of a Command by Negation concept didn't come into being. While the concept didn't come into being until the 1980's, the idea had been on some level by the US Navy since the start, and by the German Army to staggering effect.

The idea would basically allow those lower down the chain as in the USMC to call in CAS under normal circumstances unless somebody higher up, with better picture of what's going on to countermand the order and use CAS more effectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back