After Specific Luftwaffe Markings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Negative Creep

Staff Sergeant
Apr 1, 2007
New Zealand
Slightly tricky to describe but I've no doubt the experts on here will get it straight away. Basically, I'm wondering what units used a particular form of nose art. It was a long black horizontal lightning bolt, with the end turning into an Eagle head. I've seen a shorter version, but I'm after the one that runs most of the length of the plane. I think it was only on FW 190's, but does anyone know which units used it?

Finally, does anyone make the kit decals for it? I know Matchbox did, but that's long defunctNot normally into German aircraft, but this has always been a favourite of mine. Thanks!

I'm not sure which unit it's from, but Tamiya does make one in 1/48.

TAM61037.jpg

EDIT: After looking it's JG 2, but I don't know if there's only one specific Staffel or Gruppe that uses it.

Last edited:
The eagle head was used by JG2. The rest of the art, as you named it ,was called the adler wings. These black painted areas can be noticed in pics of Wurgers of JG2,JG3, JG5 ,JG26 especially in the early period of Fw190 usage..The marking appeared because of an attempt at masking of the exhaust traces of the B4 fuel that made the Fw190 fuselages dirty simply.I think it was the main reason.

The eagle head was used by JG2. The rest of the art, as you named it ,was called the adler wings. These black painted areas can be noticed in pics of Wurgers of JG2,JG3, JG5 ,JG26 especially in the early period of Fw190 usage..The marking appeared because of an attempt at masking of the exhaust traces of the B4 fuel that made the Fw190 fuselages dirty simply.I think it was the main reason.

I believe you are correct on that Wojtek.

I have some pictures of one of these that I took at the Sinsheim museum. The cowling has been replaced or painted over however and only the back part of the black "eagle" is still showing. I just need to find it...

Cheers for the info guys. I'm sure it was the matchbox kit, but since it's long defunct I can't find any pictures at all. Had a look for decals but couldn't find any, are they available in 1:48 scale?

To be honest most of these come with many kits both 1/72 and 1/48 scale. I have found these two decal sheets offered by Eagle Edition Ltd .But there aren't the Eagle Heads but the Adler Wings only.Anyway there is possibility of masking the areas on a modle and painting them by yourself.In 1/48 scale it is not too difficult.

Fw 190A-5 Decal Review by Mick Evans (Eagle Cals 1/32)
Eagle Cal decals sheet EC10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back