Air Craft Armaments Questions (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muscogeemike

Senior Airman
Jun 18, 2010
rural east Texas
The Japanese Arsenal thread started by Charles Bronson (there has to be a story behind that name) brings other armament questions to my mind.

I know the Brit's had a .50 cal mg in production at the start of the war, and maybe a 15mm mg as well. I've read that they had a shortage of 20mm cannons (at least for a while) early in the war - did they try the heavier mg's in aircraft?

I think I saw the answer to this question on another post but I can't find it - why did the US continue to use .50 cal mg's up to the Korean war? I can understand using them in WWII but I think the US is the only country to arm their post war jets with mg's.

It was cheaper? more rounds/firing time? That's all I can think of right now: I'm out of ammo. :oops::shock::lol:

late entry: Just did a little quick research and as I thought the first viable USN jets after the short lived McDonell Phantom FH-1 I all had 4 20 mm cannons.

Last edited:
I know the Brit's had a .50 cal mg in production at the start of the war, and maybe a 15mm mg as well. I've read that they had a shortage of 20mm cannons (at least for a while) early in the war - did they try the heavier mg's in aircraft?...

Vickers .5 Class C had rather low RoF, when RAF in 30s decided to standardize .303 as a/c armament, Vickers stopped the development of .5 HMG as a/c gun.

Juha

I think I saw the answer to this question on another post but I can't find it - why did the US continue to use .50 cal mg's up to the Korean war? I can understand using them in WWII but I think the US is the only country to arm their post war jets with mg's.

A pretty good discussion can be found relating both sides of this argument. Most opinions on this are typically set but the discussions are pretty thorough. Toward the end, there is an argument on the F-86 usage of the 50 cals vs The F9F 20s.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/av...s-vs-20-mm-autocannons-us-aircraft-31037.html

The .5 Vickers round was used by the Italians and the Japanese army although with different bullets. There may have been a difference in the rim.

The original British Vicker C round was rimless. The export round was semi rimmed but was otherwise identical, in fact without a micrometer the 2 cases are almost impossible to tell apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back