Airbrush Help (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a question about airbrushing (again). We keep getting random spurts of paint, so do I need a water trap for this? Also, despite being horribly thin, I can't get any form of flow at low pressure, or I get it but it slowly fades away.

Good questions TT.These are basic for answering.
In addition,the main problem with water spurts is that these aren't caused by paints but by temperature and pressure.It is a common feature of all compressors without the air tank.We have discussed this problem at Les' thread about his Fw190,as I remember.I've put there some pics of small filters that can be used for limiting of the effect.Another idea for avoiding the water is to use an additional small air tank mounted between the moisture trap and an airbrush.

Our regulator isn't accurate, but we're talking air barely coming out. It could be paint that's in the brush and the water spurts and sprays the paint.

Airbrush: Paasche VL
Paints: Tamiya Acrylic
Mix Ratio: We were trying for 60/40 in favor of thinner, but we got more than that. (we were using saved paint that was at 50/50 then added 4ml of thinner)
Air Source: Nailgun size compressor.

Rather no. Catch22 has stated the air was coming out barely.

Oh yeah, it can really pump it I'd believe. I don't know the pressue. We're working our way up from no air to full, so I'd say less than 10 psi, but it's not the pressure that's the issue, cause we can get all we need.

Now I've catched Les.THX:D

The Paasche VL airbrush needs 20-60psi or 1.5-4 bar air pressure.So if the compressor gives less than 10psi it is no wonder the airbrush doesn't work properly.

Do you have this kind of Paasche VL airbrush? If yes I've foun some info on this.

This is the most popular and dependable airbrush used by T-shirt artist today. It features double action control and interchangeable multiple head assemblies. The VL can withstand continuous use and has earned the name "The Workhorse" of the industry. The VL has a self centering tip that is designed to allow fluids to flow freely. This airbrush is capable of fine lines and broad coverage. The VL-1 is best suited for light fluids such as inks, dyes, and water colors. The VL-3 is suited for thinned acrylics, enamels and lacquers. The VL-5 is for heavy fluids like enamels. The recommended air pressure is from 20-60 psi depending on tip size and type of fluid being sprayed. The VL requires 1 cubic foot of air per minute.

Attachments

• paasche-vl.gif
    paasche-vl.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 98
Sounds to me like you need an accurate pressure regulator with a gauge, a miniature one, more than adequate for airbrush use, here in the US can be had for 30 dollars or so, plus whatever fittings are needed.

Siphon feed Airbrushes like yours need the higher pressure to pull the paint up out of the cup or jar, you should, however, be able to paint reasonably fine lines with it. For the really fine hairlines you would need a gravity feed airbrush, with the paint cup on top, which as the name implies, the paint is fed by gravity, therefore requiring much less air pressure, as little as 5 psi for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back