Aircraft Carriers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nah, they cheated. They disabled the safety interlock on the WEP so that it could be used with the gear down then fired them up to full WEP whilst standing on the brakes, then let them go. First one went from a dead stop to 10000 feet in 100 seconds, the second did the same trick in 97.8 seconds.

Rich

I think where the 2x4 or whatever came in to play was that you could not run up full power in a Bearcat while sitting because the brakes were too puny(to save weight) So they had the boards there to help keep the AC still while they ran up full power with WEP.

did this f4f have a radio oxygen weapons and ammo full fuel when it did this or was she light because I watch all these birds get off well before a 1000ft with regularity

All the figures posted were with full ammo and internal fuel, hard surface, zero wind, sea level and takeoff power.

I'm trying to find out about the displacement stats for WWII aircraft carriers vs. today.

What % of an Carriers displacement would be under the waterline?

Hope someone has this info...

Thanks

I
What % of an Carriers displacement would be under the waterline?

All of it. The displacement of the ship is the amount of water it displaces and is equal to the weight of the ship.

A quick calculation is length x beam x draught x block coefficient (usually 0.4-0.7) / 35 (all in ft) = displacement in tons.

All of it. The displacement of the ship is the amount of water it displaces and is equal to the weight of the ship.

A quick calculation is length x beam x draught x block coefficient (usually 0.4-0.7) / 35 (all in ft) = displacement in tons.

Sorry I screwed up that question. :oops:

I meant to ask what % of the total interior volume of an A/C is below the waterline.

Is it somewhere around 20 - 25%?

I meant to ask what % of the total interior volume of an A/C is below the waterline.

Is it somewhere around 20 - 25%?

I think 20-40% is fairly reasonable given the huge ship to ship variation.

I think 20-40% is fairly reasonable given the huge ship to ship variation.

I was in a discussion with someone, he calculated the total density of a Carrier {% compared to water} at 11%. I think his calculations might be wrong. Although the heaviest parts of the carrier {engines, ballast} are below W/L, still I would think that a ship with that high bouyancy would not be stable in heavy seas.

Do you have any data that gives the total interior volume of an A/C, or its % of volume below waterline?

Thanks for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back