Aircraft code letter for a 54 Squadron Spit 1A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jrw1238

Airman
Jul 5, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Thinking about entering the BOB group build. The Spitfire I am looking was flown by Flt Lt. Basil H. Way. He was shot down and killed over the Channel on July 25, 1940. The serial number for his Spitfire 1A was R6707
I know the squadron code for 54 Squadron were KL and I'm trying to find out what the aircraft code letter was.

B. H. Way has my last name and my Father's family came overfrom England a 150 or so years ago so there is a dim possibility he may have been a very very distant relative. If anybody has any information on this aircraft it would be appreciated. Thanks

JRW

Anybody have an idea of where I can look? I've been surfing the web, but so far have not foound anything. I have found several references to the S/N, just havent seen any reference of the squadron ID letter. The search goes on.

Search for the BoB 'bits box' thread started by Airframes a week or two ago. There is a PDF in there with a full listing of squadron codes. You should find what you're looking for there. And welcome aboard 8)

Like tourself, I've got the srial number, issue date, squadron allocation etc, but no individual letter. The only way I can suggest to find it, is to contact the RAF Museum Hendon, by e-mail, to the refernce section, and ask for the details of the Aircraft Movement Card. But even this probably won't have the letter shown. The individual code letters could be changed, or even the aircraft pass from one squadron to another. Even the Squadron's ORB pribably won't show both the serial and letter, just, maybe, one or the other.

Thanks, Airframes. I'll try the RAF Museum and see If they can come up with anything. Like yourself the only thing I have found mentioned in reports is the aircraft serial number. I'm beginning to think that I am on a quest.

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but on one site that sell finea art prints, that Way was shot down by Galland. THat would be another interesting note if true.

You're welcome, and I hope you are able to solve the problem. Let me/us know how you get on, and I look forward to seeing (and judging!) your Spit in the GB.
Cheers,
Terry.

One of the members on the Key Publishing site thinks the letter may have been R as the following two Spitfires R6708 and R6709 were coded S and T. So it is a possibility.

I did some research on Adolf Galland and on July 25 he did claim a 54 squadron Spitfire shot down over Dover so it could have been Way's aircraft. It was the only claim that Galland had on that day on the list that I looked at.

After going over to the Key Publishing site the best I have been able to come up with is the aircraft code was KL-R. This is based solely on the fact that letter code on R6708 and R6709 were "S" and "T". Both were in 54 Squadron. Since this is the best info I can come up with at this time my Spitfire R6707 will be marked KL-R unless I can come up with a clear ID.

Airframes where can I find the BOB GB guide lines? I found them once and now I can't find them again.

Cannot help with the code letter,but I agree that there is a very strong chance
,that Galland was the victor.As I have penciled in his name in my reference,I wish
I had kept a record of where I got it from!!

Regards Mike

You'll find the BoB GB guidelines in the general section of the Group Builds section, in Modelling. It's lower down the page, after the six sets of GB threads.

Terry,
Thanks I'll go find it and print it. I searched every where I thought I saw it and comp;etely missed it.

Thought comes to mind that I also have a Tamiya 1/48 bf109E-4 and a decal sheet with Galland's markings, so I may build that one also.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back