Aircraft for display required

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arthur Cranson

Recruit
Aug 22, 2010
Hi Guys,

I am the organiser for the "Blyth Battery Goes to War " event on 21st 22nd may 2011, we are looking for someone to bring along a WW2 aircraft for display that weekend, a spitfire or the like, we can pay some out of pocket expenses, and there is the oportunity to collect donantions from the publice during the weekend, and we expect to have around 25,000 people through the site. The main site is, "Blyth Battery" a WW1 and WW2 coastal defence site with a museum and volunteers to run and look after the site.

If anyone knows of any or has an aircraft within reasonable distance of South East Northumberlnad, and would be prepared to bring it for the weekend please contact me for more information though the forum, and I'll be happy to speak to anyone.

Arty

If you mean a flying example, then be prepared to fork out a number of thousands of Pounds, just to get it there !
The nearest WW2 airworthy aircraft to you are in North Yorkshire, and that's a P51D Mustang (USAAF). A spit or Hurricane, for example, would have to fly from probably Duxford, Cambs, or North Weald, a few miles further south.
I don't know of any forum member here in the UK with a full static display Spit or similar, real or replica, but there are a couple of members with substantial (real) restored cockpit/fuselage sections, based down in Wiltshire.
You could always ask the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, based at RAF Coningsby, Lincs, if they could provide something for a fly past, but be aware their air show bookings are made at least a year in advance, and in priority order, due to limits on annual flying hours.

Last edited:
The "Blyth Battery Volunteers" have a web site set up, and photos of this years event are on there. The volunteers also have an association with the" Bunker 17" group, who are restoring and preserving a WW2 fighter command bunker in the North East, they hav a good web site as well.

We had a Spitfire this year, from Lytham, well a gate gardian anyway, but the costs fo getting it to the site are realy prohibitive ( I think they are asking for two days wages as well, for a volunteer led wekend???)

Thanks for the info so far guys, any other contacts you can can point me towards?

Of course it is going to cost so much (even if it is for a volunteer led event). Fuel and maintenance costs for such an old war bird are very expensive.

Hope you get what you are looking for though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back