AIRCRAFT PART IDENTITY

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

andygray

Airman
Mar 5, 2013
Hi everyone

I am new to the forum, but looking at other posts, there are obviously a great many intelligent and knowledgeable people out there !

Basically I need help determining which aircraft type a part comes from

It is a control panel with levers for four props, made by Bloctube Controls with Part number 70430, Type H4, Serial number 5/25 on a small side plate

I would post a pic but do not know how too !

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading !

Hi Andy. A photo would really help. Posting a pic is straightforward.
First, re-size the photo if required, to no more than 800 x 600 pixels.
Then, click the 'Go Advanced' button at the bottom right of the 'Quick Reply' box.
A new box will open, with 'Select' Image'. Find the pic you want from your photo files, and click on it to 'Open'. This will show as the pic title or file number in the box. Do this for each separate image you want ot upload.
Then click on 'Upload Images'.
A blue bar will start to scroll across the box, and, when complete, a 'thumbnail' of the image(s) will appear in the box below this. When this is done, click on the 'Done' button.
Then just post the reply as the normal - the pic(s) should now be in your post.

DSCN8235.JPG

A real pilot will chime in soon enough. But I am seeing what I think is a control for a twin engine. Two prop levers, two throttle levers and the last on the right "Open-Shut" for something else. Cowl flaps? Interesting for sure!

And we can eliminate C-47's 's if this pic of a C-47 cockpit is anything to go by (unless they changed the throttle quadrant design)-

C-47-cpit.jpg

I think it is 4-engined as the numbers 1-4 appear below the levers on the left-hand side

A lot of early aircraft used the date of manufacture for the serial number, so to give you a timeframe to look for, it appears that it would be in 1925. Of course, the date of manufacture of the part would be before the date for the aircraft, unless it was a replacement part.

With that second picture I would agree 4 engines. Any story about where you got it?

Gee, how many 4 engined airplanes were flying in 1925?

Last edited:
This is part of a buffalo - the horned variety, not the Brewster. It's the only part the Indians DIDN'T use...

I don't think that serial number includes a date. The style, and materials, including what looks like inert gas-illuminated caps on the throttle lever knobs, or perhaps even electric bulbs, and the style of the typeface used, look more like 1940s or later.
The throttle and pitch knobs look familiar, perhaps a Hastings, but, out of context from the rest of the cockpit, I can't place it.

I think you could be close there Joe - it now reminds me of the De Havilland Heron, the larger, four engine version of the Dove, which first flew in 1952. The 'style' looks about right for the period. (note that propellors were known as 'airscrews' in Britain, before WW2.)
EDIT: Nope. Just checked - not a Heron.

Last edited:
Hi again

Thanks to those wonderful people at the Newark Air Museum in the UK, I have now been told that it comes from a Handley Page Hastings

Thanks Mike !

Result! Good guesstimate Terry. Just a bit of identification of the levers. What look like two levers, but is actually four, but only two have the bauble are what are today called condition levers, which control the propeller pitch settings via the constant speed governor. In the second picture you can see where the props could be taken into reverse pitch, where it states 'Min', then a line and 'Rev' below it, with 'Feather' at the base. The other levers are of course the power levers, or throttles. Where they are located is around 'Flight Idle'. The 'Friction' refers to friction levers, which stiffened or loosened the 'feel' of the levers; for obvious reasons, you don't want them too loose during climb out and in flight.

What a cool thing to have.

[QUOTE The throttle and pitch knobs look familiar, perhaps a Hastings, but, out of context from the rest of the cockpit, I can't place it.[/QUOTE]

Well guessed indeed !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back