Aircraft wreckage?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

johnnyboy

Recruit
Mar 1, 2014
I recently discovered that a P-38 crashed in my locality and after a further bit of investigation discovered that a bit of wreckage had been discovered near the crash site recently. The crash site is a beach and as it happened many years ago the skeptic in me says this wreckage could be from anything.

The piece discovered is an aluminium Z-beam with attached rivets and what could be aluminium skin.

My question is how would one go about verifying this is from the aircraft or alternatively disprove it? any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

1.png
2.png

These are the only photos i have got and they are pretty terrible as i was rushing when i took them. there are no numbers or markings on it and i am defo gonna scour d place wit a detector at some stage. After doin a bit of research I have determined that other members of the community actually salvaged bits of it back when it crashed so I know for a fact that the wheels and props are still in the locality. Jus think it would be nice to try and gather as much of it together as possible.

That would be a great help T Bolt. I appreciate you giving your time.

There are comparatively few things around made of rivited aluminum due to the labor involved. Aircraft structure seems most likely. Could be anything from a bulkhead to a canopy rim but is definitely a stiffness structure that adds considerable strength to the assembly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back