Airfield Equipment - Flags/pennants

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CharlieB

Airman
Dec 8, 2012
Hmmmm, I am not sure if this fits this category. But, ...

My built Luftwaffe a/c are expanding beyond my display cases, both in size an quantity. So I am planning of setting up a little airfield diorama in my hobby room to display the planes. I have a plexiglas cover from an old train set that should prevent dust built up.

So I am working on some little stuff to populate the diorama, like some scratch built buildings (only the fronts), equipment, carts etc. picturing a Luftwafgfe airfiled during the war (although, it will be a mix between airport, landing strip, early war, late war)

Now, on some pictures I found flags that obviously have been used on the field. I guess for purposes like indicating a free runway, wave planes of, telling the pilot his undercarriage is still in etc. For example, I have several times seen a flag with a lying dark cross on a white (?) background. Unfortunately in the b&w pictures you cannot tell the colors (duh!). The cross seems not to be dark enough for black or dark blue....

So my question is: Does anybody have a good reference for thoise kind of flags? Colors, purpose and such?

Thanks for your help!

CharlieB

Thanks for those pictures .... Now I have even more things to replicate, while I thougt I was practically done - thanks a lot !!!! ;)

... here is some of the equipment I got so far ...

CharlieB

Attachments

• IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    393.9 KB · Views: 68
Very cool!!! Here try this web page. Looks the same as the ones I have in the book

List of flags of the Luftwaffe (1933

Micdrow, thanks for the link!

I've got most of the official flags figured out. What I still need is those "signal" (??) flags. Like the checkered flag have nowadays for the vehicles that are allowed to drive on the field.

I have seen the pictures but no book or website mentioned them in specific or showed their true colors or explained the usage ... :(

CharlieB

that is nice work CharlieB...i look forward to seeing the work in progress and the final product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back