Airfix 1/24 scale Bf109E.....or a bed of thorns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wurger

Siggy Master
Staff
Admin
Mod
Jun 19, 2005
Poland
Hello Gents,

As you might have known I agreed to make a commissioned model for a local museum. Their choice was the Airfix kit of 1/24 scale.It's an old one and nothing rocked should be expected. That's why I have decided to make it OOB. However , I added a few details because of basic state at a couple of areas.
Three months ago I received the model packed in a very big box comparing to the small "brother" of Revell.
In the box I found two big sprues with more than 100 parts or so, moulded of light blue-grey styrene, one frame with black base ( I haven't used it indeed) , a frame with rubber tyres and one set of "glass" for E-3 and E-4 conapies and lens for the pilot panel. A few pics below.

Attachments

• Dscn2797.jpg
    Dscn2797.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,007
  • Dscn2798.jpg
    Dscn2798.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,093
  • Dscn2799.jpg
    Dscn2799.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
THX guys...appreciate. Here more shots.

Attachments

• cz5.jpg
    cz5.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 999
  • cz4.jpg
    cz4.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 996
  • cz3.jpg
    cz3.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,064
  • cz2.jpg
    cz2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,008
  • cz1.jpg
    cz1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,433
  • cz6.jpg
    cz6.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 992
These conopies look the same at glance only. But they are for the E-3 variant and for the E-4 one. The difference is in their shapes.The E-4 conopy was angular comparing to the E-3 one.

Last edited:
It looks like 2 of the same canopies, why's that?
If you look carefully H
the framing on the top canopy, is off the angle where the side and roof of the canopy join, it's situated lower down the side of the canopy. This was an attempt by Messerschmitt to address concerns fed back by the pilots over visibility

Looking forward to this one Wojtek !
For those who haven't seen this kit, when first released around 1970, it was Earth-shattering; nothing like it had been seen before, and a superb model could be made, particularly by the standards of the day. Now, the moulds are showing their age, and there is a lot of work needed to get it right.
I'm sure Professor Surgeon Dipl. Eng. Commander Bondski Wojtek will make an excellent job of this one! I mean, it's ten times bigger than his normal micro surgery jobs !!

Thank you Terry. :)

The kit assembling manual cosits of a couple pages with pictures for all the build steps. However I have seen better ones.The camo schemes are for two Bf109Es.The first one is for J. "Pips" Priller's crate E-3 Werk Nr. 5057 in 1940 France and shows JG51 plane. The second one is for W.Meyerweisslog's E-4 plane of JG53 W.Nr.5375 of the same year. Unfortunately there is a lack of swastikas for the E-3 kite in the decal sheet.I have had to use ones from Techmod decal sheet No.72101B. The colourful schemes for both variants are included. The accuracy of these camo schemes and marking isn't good , especially for Pips' Messerschmitt I think.Because of the kit age I have applied some gloss cote onto the decal sheet twice in order to prevent markings from scattering.

Attachments

• Dscn2801.jpg
    Dscn2801.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 898
  • Dscn2804.jpg
    Dscn2804.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 939
  • Dscn2805.jpg
    Dscn2805.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Dscn2809.jpg
    Dscn2809.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:
I bet you a nice Polish vodka, that you won't be able to do this OOB Dr. Wojtek!

Bottle of vodka to be collected from Glasgow, otherwise tickets to delivery address are kindly accepted. ;)

Jasiu , you stay in Scotland too long I think. :lol:

This is OOB build Harry. And I decided to make Priller's Bf109E with the kit decals. The museum people haven't told me if they wanted something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back