Airfix 1/72nd Avro Lancaster MKVII F2 * V 635 Sqd. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Hi guys,

Sorry that i've not done much posting been a little busy trying to complete two Lancasters i'm building at
the moment and that Revell one is doing my head in for some un know reason i can't fit the wings into the
fuselage so i've had to rip out that centre mounting section which holds the wings in, this in turn has cracked the fuselage so i'm repairing that now.

Yes i know some of you guys are tired of seeing Lancasters from me but this one is different BIG TIME :shock:

Completed this yesterday ! this Lanc'/version is modelled on ND673. F2 * V, It was originally a BIII then converted to a B VI.
635 Sqd. RAF Dowham Market,late 1944. The model is depicting her when recently changed engines from RR Merlin 25's to RR Merlin 85's,
also having a faired over front turret and a faired over upper turret which has yet not been painted over and no spinners on prop's.
This can be spotted in 'The Modellers Data File' as a side view.

The only added extra's are the resin nacelles which were a real pain to fit the wings and also having to extend the outer nacelles towards the ailerons
Revell paddle blade prop's,Airfix Dambuster Lanc' kit,the yellow stripes are not decals but all hand painted with the aid of masking tape and alot of patience
in getting them all level, the codes are none standard RAF sizes as they are alot smaller.

''Your one ugly mother f*cker'' [Predator] Enjoy :twisted: ..............

AvroLancastermodel001.jpg

AvroLancastermodel003.jpg

AvroLancastermodel004.jpg

AvroLancastermodel007.jpg

AvroLancastermodel008.jpg

AvroLancastermodel009.jpg

jjjj001.jpg

AvroLancastermodel010.jpg

jjjj003.jpg

thanks for looking.

ian.

happy0034.gif

Can never have to many Lancs Ian, once again nicely done. What's next on the agenda? I know, a Lank, but what size?

:hotsun: :hotsun:

happy0034.gif

Can never have to many Lancs Ian, once again nicely done. What's next on the agenda? I know, a Lank, but what size?

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Aha ! thats were your wrong Vic :shock: i've got that other revell Lancaster to finish
then i'm onto building the Airfix 1/72nd Boeing AWACS E-3D Sentry ! quite a big monster
this is infact its bigger than a Tamiya 1/48th Lanc', when its finished i've got no idea were
i'm going to put it lol :lol:

Glad you like it guys and it sure made a difference in making that Lanc'.

ian.

Sorry for dragging up this old thread guys but I've been asked why this Lanc'
had so many yellow markings on the rear fins ? Could it have been a leader bomber ?

Terry !! You have any idea's ??

The Squadron was formed as a Pathfinder squadron, in 1944, and those photos I've seen of the Squadron's aircraft don't have the yellow bands on the fins as standard markings. These were normally the I.D. for a GH leader, on daylight ops, so only designated lead aircraft would display them. The yellow bands varied in style and dimension, in various squadrons, with most being a single, broad band, or two or more medium bands, although even overall yellow fins are known to have been used.
Without looking into it further, I'd guess that the slightly unusual number and layout of the yellow bands would be to distinguish the aircraft not just as a GH leader, but as a Pathfinder leader also, and it's likely that the bands would have been removed when the unit returned to normal night ops, after the D-Day and post 'Overlord' daylight support operations ceased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back