Airfix 1/72nd Avro Lancaster (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Hi guys

Airfix version with aftermarket decals in the guise of HW * R ''Phantom of the Rhur'' and resin bulged tyres and i opened up the rear crew access door and also made a flare shute out of wood !, a few mistakes here and there but hey where only human :shock: All the canopy frames/turrets are hand painted on !!

ianslancasterfinished011.jpg

ianslancasterfinished007.jpg

ianslancasterfinished010.jpg

ianslancasterfinished009.jpg

ianslancasterfinished008.jpg

ianslancasterfinished005.jpg

ianslancasterfinished006.jpg

ianslancasterfinished003.jpg

ianslancasterfinished001.jpg

ianslancasterfinished004.jpg

ianslancasterfinished002.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

He used to have the motto "...only seven Lancs to go!" Wojtek, does this mean there are only six left? :) :)

Beautiful job mate!!! :D What is the kit like to put together?

The only problem is the fit of the nacelles to the wings,they need quite a bit of work on them to look correct. Wings go together good as does the fuselage.

Canopy and the side windows are a bind to get correct, you have to glue the windows into the canopy frame and if your not careful you'll ruin the canopy.

Canopy/Turrets are a pain to paint because the detail is raised. :rolleyes: in my opinion i think this is still the best kit to accurately represent a Lancaster.

He used to have the motto "...only seven Lancs to go!" Wojtek, does this mean there are only six left? :) :)

Just had a count up :shock: i've got six 1/72nd Lanc's and two 1/48th Lanc's :lol: :lol: when will it ever end :oops:

ian

Only six? Beginner... :) :)

Thanks for that info! So there are a couple of problem areas I'll have a bit of fun with!

Reviews I've read have also echoed your comments on it being the best of the 1:72 kits. Apparently Hasegawa and Revell both got the outer wing dihedral wrong (Hasegawa too high, Revell too low...)

(Btw, did you detail the rear fueslage interior aswell?)

Thanks for that info! So there are a couple of problem areas I'll have a bit of fun with!

Reviews I've read have also echoed your comments on it being the best of the 1:72 kits. Apparently Hasegawa and Revell both got the outer wing dihedral wrong (Hasegawa too high, Revell too low...)

(Btw, did you detail the rear fueslage interior aswell?)

Hasegowa's Lanc' escape hatch is totally in the wrong place,wrong nacelle shape :shock: Rip off price !!

New Revell Lanc. no wing Dihedral, needs wings cutting to make the correct Dihedral, pilots seat wrong shape, grooves too deep on all panel lines, incorrect mainwheels, incorrect tail wheel :oops: Good value, seen some for £10.

I added the floor walkway, toilet which is to the left and i penciled in frame work on the fuselage sides.

ian.

Well i've actually made twelve 1/72nd Lanc's, one 1/72nd Manchester, one 1/96th Lanc', five 1/48th Lanc's, one 1/48th Lincoln, one 1/32nd Lanc', all different version Squardon's.

Oh and i've also made three 1/48th comission build Lanc's, one went to Canada and two went to the USA 8)

''PHEW'' !:oops:

ian.

Bl**dy h*ll! :shock: I thought that production stopped of the Lancaster many a blue moon ago, I was obviously wrong! Excellent work Ian, top notch and all that rot! Looking forward to more.... :thumbright:

Nice work Ian. Thanks for the info on the kits, I was going to do the Revell one for the Bombers GB, but might just go for the Airfix kit - their 1980's kit was very good at the time.

Ian lurvely job, I have a half finished Airfix Lanc somewhere in the loft, think iI'm going to get it out now I've seen your finished model!!

Tell me what did you use to get the "night black" it looks very authentic.

Flexibull

Lovely build Ian! 8)

bet the 1/32 scale Lanc is a monster!!

Hasegowa's Lanc' escape hatch is totally in the wrong place,wrong nacelle shape :shock: Rip off price !!

New Revell Lanc. no wing Dihedral, needs wings cutting to make the correct Dihedral, pilots seat wrong shape, grooves too deep on all panel lines, incorrect mainwheels, incorrect tail wheel :oops: Good value, seen some for £10.

I added the floor walkway, toilet which is to the left and i penciled in frame work on the fuselage sides.

ian.

Cheers mate!

Yep, read that too re the Has and Rev kits! Also that the Hasegawa tail wheel is 1.5 times too big!
I don't understand how these big companies can make such obvious mistakes? At the prices they go for, you would expect a little more attention to detail!

...I knew you'd done a few Lancs too, but BLOODY HELL!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :)

It seems a good time to say "Hello", I have seen it suggested on other forums that the dihedral on the Revell Lanc is correct for an aircraft parked on the ground, as I am planning to build the Revell kit can someone please advise me

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back