Airframes et al Mossiephiles - seen this?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey! Thanks for the notification!
Having been involved in research for my painting over a seven year period, and having attended the 50th anniversary at Shell House, in company with Ted Sismore and other aircrew, I'd love to be there for the day - have to try to get there. Unfortunately, Ted passed away at Easter, so a real gentleman will be missing.
I noticed in the clip from the documentary, that the 'cartoon' images had the aircraft approaching and bombing the target from the wrong direction !!

No worries - I confess I also have difficulty (without a map) understanding the route of the bombing run.

Sorry to hear about Ted Sismore, one of the greats.

I've got a period map with the approach tracks laid out, and diagrams of the various attacking waves formations, if you'd like a copy. I've also got ALL of the film footage taken at the time by the FPU Mossies (on VHS tape), from take off to the raid itself, but this is Crown Copyright, so can only be viewed privately - had to sign my life away, or suffer the Tower of London!!
Each aircraft was also fitted with a rear-facing strike camera, but the camera circuits were wired to the drop tank release circuits, and the switches were not closed after dropping the tanks over the Danish coast, so all the films show is splendid, extremely low-level views of the Danish country side!
Basically, the attack came in from over the lakes (reservoirs) at below roof-top height, with the aircraft accelerating, and the bombs going into the side of the building at street and first floor level. There were some overshoots, and rebounds, with at least one bomb going through the roof of the Technical Institute building, which is the large, almost tri-angular building seen in the foreground of most still photos, and often mistaken for Shell House.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back