Airframes used by British and Japanese

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ascent

Senior Airman
Apr 7, 2012
Bomber country, England
Apart from the C47/L2D does anyone know of any airframes used by both the British and Japanese?
I know in Europe both the British and Germans had flights that operated captured aircraft but where there any in the far East? I know the Americans flew some captured zeros but did the British have anything?

The Japanese also conducted extensive testing and evaluation of captured Allied airframes. Here's a pretty decent list of airframes.

List of foreign aircraft tested by Japan between 1930 and 1945 - Wikipedia

If you google for a specific type, you should find plenty of pics on t'internet. Here are a couple of pics of captured ex-Dutch Buffalos, one with the Japanese test unit badge on the fin:

1609530703965.png

1609530767718.png

And here's a neat pic of a formation of captured B-17s with Mount Fuji as a backdrop:

1609530822168.png

I was allowed to get up close to the Dinah for some detail shots a few years back, when I was informed that, during some routine maintenance / preservation work recently completed at that time, quite a lot of coral dust was found in the airframe when panels were removed !
Here she is at Cosford in 2013, looking very smart.

Dinah.jpg

Apart from the C47/L2D does anyone know of any airframes used by both the British and Japanese?
I know in Europe both the British and Germans had flights that operated captured aircraft but where there any in the far East? I know the Americans flew some captured zeros but did the British have anything?

The Lockheed 14 - In addition to the Airliners flown by the Brits and Canadians, it was also the Hudson, flown by the Brits, Canadians, Australians, and US.
The Japanese not only had received some 30 as airliners before the war, but built about 120 Tachikawa LO (Thelma) and 121 Kawasaki Ki-56 (Thalia) transports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back