Airspeed Courier protptype

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Came across these photographs from my Dad's collection from about 1933 and thought some of you airheads out there would be interested in this little bit of aviation history. My Dad was stationed in Malta at the time and on checking the registration I find that this is the aircraft of Sir Alan Cobham. It's the prototype of the Airspeed Courier and he had it built in York and after shipping it in parts to Portsmouth used for the initial experiments of Flight Refuelling. After a couple of mishaps, Sir Alan with the use of Flight Refuelling from two Handley Page W10's attempted a record non stop flight from Portsmouth to India in September 1934. The attempt was cut short because of a broken throttle (assumedly cable) and was damaged when forced to make a landing in Malta. I believe that these are photographs of that aircraft at rest in Malta. I believe the aircraft eventually ended up on the RAF Inventory a X9427. I do not have the Air Britain books for the X series tail numbers, so if anybody has a history of it's life after Malta where it was remained after the crash until sold, I would be most interested.

Attachments

• Airspeed2.JPG
    Airspeed2.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Airspeed3.JPG
    Airspeed3.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 138
Great pics Vic. i vaguely remember reading an article about this aircraft, I think in either 'Aircraft Illustrated' or 'The Aeroplane', probably 20 years or more ago. I'm not sure, but I think it ended up on the Station Flight at Takali, or Luqa, and might have been written off there, although a little voice tells me it might still be preserved.
I might still have the magazine, so if I find anything, I'll let you know.

Thanks Terry, hope you have luck, it will be interesting to know and also tie up a loose end.
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back