Akagi "Val" 7 December 1941-pilot?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PFF

Airman
Oct 21, 2007
Akagi "Val" AI-225 lost 7 December 1941 of 23rd Shotai-is pilot known?

Maybe try the message board here:

Pearl Harbor Attacked Message Board

List of Japanese crews here (in Japanese):

•z™õìíE'æ"ñŽŸUŒ''à

I can read enough Japanese to get to Akagi, 23rd Shotai. Looks like there were three aircraft despatched in the 2nd wave (assuming a "Type 99" is a Val). From what I can determine, all three are listed under the "Higai" column (=Damage, 2nd from the right) as "Jibaku" - damaged by blast from own bombs. It's not clear whether the damage was fatal - other aircraft are listed as "Yukue Fumei" (=Missing).

Pilots were Ohta, Honma and Shimakura.

The AI-225 tail number isn't listed.

Edit - This site:

"‡í'ˆŽ«"T [—ðŽj"N•\ 1941-1945"N]

says both Ohta and Honma were KIA, though it doesn't mention their crews.

Thanks for information:!:

No worries.

David Aiken over at that message board is definitely The Man on Pearl Harbour research. If anybody knows who flew 225, it's him.

"Jibaku" - damaged by blast from own bombs.

Jibaku = "自(self) 爆(exploded)", suicide dive into sea or ground

That's pretty darned "fatal".

Japanese pilots even practice this maneuvre in case their aircraft is damaged and there is no hope of returning to friendly lines.

Have to be careful though, this description is used even when the aircraft explodes in flames in mid-air from AA fire and dives into the ground (i.e. clearly shot down). Using this description brings honor to the deceased and the families and shouldn't be taken too literally.

BTW, yes, Type 99 Kanbaku (九九式艦上爆撃機) is a Val ...

Thanks for that,

I had wondered about the number of planes said to be lost to Jibaku - thought it might indeed be a euphamism for AAA.

Cheers,

Mark

Akagi "Val" AI-225 lost 7 December 1941 of 23rd Shotai-is pilot known?

Konnichiwa Dr Phil Fazzini,
The source for "25" is from the composite drawing of two VALs...one is a Kaga VAL ("AII" markings on interior components) and the tail of a VAL which crashed into USS Curtiss with "25" on the drawing's empennage.

See the Jan 1990 REPLICA article "Pearl Harbor and Technical Intelligence" at: japanese model aircraft

We now know that one of the three Akagi VALs from the 23 Shotai crashed into the USS Curtiss, the "race" seems to be to get the tail code and crew names attached...without(?) proper research.

The "Three Watch" research method is described as "When you have ONE watch, you KNOW what time it is"..."When you have two watches, you DON"T lnow the time"..."with three watches, you have the beginning of consensus." We need more 'watches'!

We only know that the drawing shows "25"...was it on the Akagi VAL or not? We do not know. IF it was on the Akagi VAL, the code would begin "AI-2"...thus MIGHT be either "AI-25x" or "AI-225". We do not know more.

Zenji Abe, leader of the Buntai from which this Shotai was lost, knew his #2 wingman, shot down by Ken Taylor, flew AI-211 and he, himself, flew AI-210... this reveals nothing of which could help.

Alas, I determined the illustrator's name for the "25" drawing too late as he has past away.

Gomen nasai,
David Aiken, a Director: Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back