Alamo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

renrich

Chief Master Sergeant
Jan 19, 2007
Montrose, Colorado
On this day in 1836, the Alamo fell after a 13 day seige by the Mexican forces under Antonio de Lopez de Santa Anna. The following is from a letter sent by William Barrett Travis on February 24, 1836: " To the people of Texas and all Americans in the world, Fellow Citizens and Compatriots I am besieged with a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continual bombardment and cannonade for 24 hours and have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison is to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot and our flag still waves proudly from the wall. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of Patriotism and everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily and will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets what is due his honor and that of his country. Victory or Death, WBT" The final assault began at about dawn on the morning of March 6 and was over in several hours. All combatants in the fort, about 230, were killed. The Mexican Army suffered, according to Francisco Ruiz, the Alcade of San Antonio de Bexar, approximately 1500 casualties. On April 21st of 1836, the Texas Army fell upon Santa Anna and his army at the San Jacinto, during the afternoon and destroyed that army in eighteen minutes. The Mexican Army suffered casualties of around 800, the Texas Army, 18. The battle cry was "Remember the Alamo, remember Goliad"

Thank you for the post. They do not even teach this in our schools anymore and now we are slowly losing the place.

DBII
Texan

nice post!

The Flying Artillery exacted it's revenge!

Surrender of Santa Anna, painting by William Henry Huddle (1890); property of Texas State Preservation Board. The painting depicts Santa Anna being brought before a wounded Sam Houston, to surrender

Attachments

• surrender.jpg
    surrender.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 118
I love to read about this, stories of a few against many - Rourke's Drift, Khartoum, etc. Great post.

BTW, IMHO the John Wayne version was much better (although inaccurate) than the Billy Bob Thornton trash.

and DB that is an actrocity!!

Too much flash and bang. Just didn't have a feel for reality, just sensationalism. Not saying that the John Wayne film was any different but it just seemed over the top. Kinda like comparing Tora, Tora, Tora with Pearl Harbor.

But this is getting away from the topic. I'm amazed sometimes at the guts to face overwhelming odds like they did.

If your ever in Texas, it's pretty cool to see the missions in Goliad, San Jacinto, and the Alamo. Even though the Alamo is smack dab in the middle of downtown San Antonio, it's still..........haunting..........is the word of how it affected me.

Thanks for the post Renrich

I hope DB Thor won't be offended if I say that San Antonio is my favorite city in Texas. :eek:

Although I havn't had much chance to see the sights in Dallas....

I think that Austin is more the college crowd. Hollywood bought up the place back in the 90's. San Antonio has something for everyone including warbirds at Lackland AFB. Since the base is closed to the public, you have to make an appointment to see the air park. Thank you 911. From Lackland AFB website.

" Due to security requirements and manning, the base is not able to support no-notice requests or tours for small groups. Public tours are offered the second Tuesday of each month. The tour will last approximately two hours (9-11 a.m.) and consist of a driving tour of the base and a stop at the Air Park where guests can view numerous static display aircraft."

DBII

Thank youall for your comments. There are many aspects of the Alamo story which fascinate me. One of them is the persona of Travis. He was, I think, 28 years old when he wrote that letter. To begin with, it is an inspirational letter. I wonder also at the fact that he commanded the respect of most in the garrison. Many of the garrison could have escaped up until the last few days. The volunteers from Gonzales came in well after the seige had begun. Another point that gets my attention is the celebrated characters in the Alamo. Crockett and Bowie had large reputations before their demise in the Alamo. A fact that seems to be lost in these modern times is that about 300 Texans with Ben Milam leading, took San Antonio de Bexar away from a Mexican army of 800 under General Cos, Santa Anna's brother in law, just a few months earlier. The Mexican soldiers were allowed to leave with their muskets after promising not to bear arms against the Texans again. Of course, they came back with Santa Anna. I was at the Alamo at 5:30 AM on March 6, 1986 for the sesquicentennial celebration. The final assault was supposed to have begun at about that time. I doubt that as it is still dark at 5:30 and I don't see how they could have gotten everyone in formation and ready to attack with no light to see by. At any rate it was awe inspiring to stand there and think about what had been going on 150 years earlier.

I hope DB Thor won't be offended if I say that San Antonio is my favorite city in Texas. :eek:

Although I havn't had much chance to see the sights in Dallas....

Not offended at all. San Antonio is my home town.

River WalK !!!!! Party Time!!!!

DBII

You got that right brutha. Many wonderful nights spent on the riverwalk drinking marguarita's.

Not better than Austin though is it?

IMO, Austin blows and is way over rated. The traffic through Austin sucks in the most worse way due to Austin and Round Rock growing so fast. Stay clear of I-35 between Austin and Georgetown.

But you can still find a party on 6th street, that's for sure.

Thor, I agree. Austin is pretty but way too many lefties. I went to high school and junior high in SA and it is by far my favorite Texas city.

But you can still find a party on 6th street, that's for sure.

The partying is what I was referring too. One of the comments said "river walk - party on"

I'll go back to Austin for the Bats and 6th Street booze'n

My dad was an extra in the new Alamo movie. He also does reenactments there every second weekend of every month. Tryin to keep the history alive so my kids and their kids will know why Texas is the greatest. We owe it to those men and many others of the time. So raise your glasses high, "Here's to the men of the Alamo and to all of the men of the revolution!"

Renrich I find the whole historical aspects of The Alamo fascinating. I watched both versions of the Alamo. Basically I perfer the John Wayne version but that is a matter of taste I suppose. How closely linked in Texas History for Independance leading to in a short period of time less then 30 years after San Jancito. All Mexican Territory being wrested away by the US in the American Mexican War Texas joining the Union and then succeeding from the Union to join the Confedaracy. What an interesting paradox of events Renrich. Sort of the paradox of Texas forming its own Nationhood then joining another Nation in building a greater expansion. Kind of reminds me of the Boers in South Africa with the formation of the Orange Free State in some ways during and prior to the Boer War Renrich. It maybe a poor comparasion but I hope you understand that is how the State of Texas reminds me in some ways. You might say its not that unique but has similarities elsewhere

Users who are viewing this thread