Alfred Surau, 9./JG3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hello!

Does anybody have any anecdotes, pictures or info on the score of Alfred Surau, a BF109 pilot in 9./ jg3 during 1943? I only have one photo of his aircraft, "yellow 6", which I got out of Ospreys "Aircraft of the Aces-Defence of the Reich Aces", but it is very small and a bit blurred, and I would be very grateful for any pictures or info on him or his aircraft, as I am planning to build a model of his 109G-6/ R6.
It looks like a VERY striking bird!

Thank you!

Hi. I have the 1/48 Hasegawa kit of this machine and was Googling around to find similar info andf came across your post. I too would like to find out a bit more about this bird and Surau himself.

Claes Sundin hasdone an excellent profile shown below. Camo is standard 74/75/76 and mottling on the port side is kind of a diagonal band pattern as shown in the one photo I've seen, the one where Surau is sitting on the wheel. Not sure what the starboard side looks like. The kill marks is Sundin's profile are in black but EagleCals have them in red. Sundin also shows a faint red line behind the eyeball which other references I've seen don't have.

Anyone else who can chime in with more info would be welcome!

Attachments

• Surau.jpg
    Surau.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 218
The number 6 on the Port side is more elongated and the top arc stops at the fuel triangle....will find the pic that shows this.

I actually helped Jerry Crandall with this correction on his Decal Sheet and Profile for Yellow 6, JUST before they went to print with the wrong style...!!:D He didn't have the photo that I was aware of....:D

Good info guys, thanks. The Hasegawa kit has the yellow 6 looking like Sundin's profile. How about the kill marks Wayne? Red or Black? The second profile has no marks so no help there.

Here is the pic (first one), you can just see the style of the 6

Source : Aircraft and Legend Bf109 Heinz Nowarra

Not sure on colour of kill markings....will need to check further...

Attachments

• Alfred Surau Yellow 6_9630.JPG
    Alfred Surau Yellow 6_9630.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Thanks Wayne. That's the one pic I've seen of this aircraft. Not sure if there are others. The 6 extending to the octane sticker is quite evident. Sundin may have also interpreted the red line around the eyeball as faintly seen in this pic as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back