All-around fighter planes in WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jan 21, 2009
During WWII, were there any Allied/Axis fighter planes that performed effectively using both turn burn and boom zoom tactics?

Corsair could work. High dive speed and a very capable dog fighter with the engine to pull away if needed.

I guess it depends on who I have to turn and burn with.

Obviously most allied fighters could boom and zoom vs the Japanese aircraft, history proves that. If I wanted something to TRY and turn and burn with the Japanese fighters, it would have to be a Spitfire. I think with any of the top U.S. fighters, turn and burn would not be a good idea.

Europe, I would feel good in a P-38J/L, P-51, or a F4U Corsair.

I don't think so. The F4U was a great aircraft. But it was not a dog fighter.

The Me-109 was pretty maneuverable in addition to being a great boom zoom fighter. Especially the Me-109F.

Actually the F4U pilot in a fight with an FW190 was advised to close and dogfight as the F4U1 could follow any maneuver the FW made and the FW could not follow the F4U.

I think the Corsair vs 109G would be altitude dependant. Up high, 25 thousand plus, the Messerschmitt would be a big problem. Lower than that and I think the Corsair would have every advantage except climb, but it would be only a little behind.

Now I know someone will post a graph showing I'm wrong, but thats what I think just looking at the scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back