Allied aircraft on Vis 1944/45

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Balkandave

Recruit
Aug 18, 2021
Hi

I am interested in finding out more about the Allied squadrons based on the Adriatic island of Vis in WW2. It was a partisan base supported by British commandos and a small US contingent.
There was an airstrip on the only flat bit of ground used by mostly US bombers in trouble after raids in the Balkans and by the Balkan Air Force which was mostly based in Italy. It also had ground support aircraft that attacked closer targets and supported commando and partisan raids.
The strip is an agricultural field today but still obvious from the photo (see below) I took on my last visit. The turning area is now a cricket pitch!
There is a bit on the airbase here with some pictures Forgotten airfields europe
351 squadron operated Spitfires from there along with two Partisan squadrons. My book on RAF Squadrons (Jefford) also lists 6, 73, 249, 253, 351, 352 and 1435 Squadrons as serving there.
McConville (Small War in the Balkans) focuses on the commando ops and the RAF only gets incidental mentions.

If anyone can point me in the direction of further information and pictures, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

100_3822.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back