Amelia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't know - I've heard mixed reviews. The movie shows a broken antenna was the blame for her getting lost from what I understand.

well nobody really knows what had happened. it is possible the antenna broke. the only thing of her they found was a boot. her plane was never found.

my mother thinks she was shot down by the Japanese. I honestly don't know :p

I don't buy that antenna crap as if it did break they would have known it at take off because their ADF and LF radios would not have worked. The Coast Guard Cutter that was supposed to be used to help them find Howland Is. heard them loud and clear, so that theory is blown opened, as with 9/10 of all the other stuff about her.

Bottom line - they f'ed up, but to their defense ADF navigation (especially with the equipment of that day) is very hard and they were trying to find a dot in thousands miles of ocean.

She was not a stellar aviatrix and had many mishaps and close calls in her career, but of course Hollywood is not going to show that. Bottom line, because of her rich husband she had more money than brains in may situations.

Last edited:
The History Channel had a show about her recently. One of the theorys was she was on a spy mission for FDR.
According to the TV show, when they last called the USCG cutter Ataska, they still had five hours of fuel left....
enough fuel to get to another group of islands.

You're right, Joe, she was not an above average pilot. However, Noonan was suppose to be a top notch navigator,
even tho it was known he had a drinking problem.

I think they ditched and drowned...

Charles

I don't buy the spy mission either. Even with her 5 hour reserve fuel load she would have been 500 miles from the closest Japanese garrison. In 1937 we still had diplomatic ties with the Japanese and they were still using diplomacy to contain us. If she had crashed in any of their territories it would have been in their best interest to return her.

They did most of the flying sequences at the local airport St Catharines formerly 9EFTS and Dunnville 6SFTS
, Dunnville was also where they filmed a lot of Captains of the Clouds

That's a great site, been there a number of times in the past (we're talking years here...lol). I think that if anyone will put forth good, hard evidence of what happened to Earhart, they will.

Thanks for posting the link!

Welcome guys....

This was from another site I was on discussing the Japanese and conspiracy theories and referring to the islands north of Howland...

"the Japanese never made any advances into those islands in the 1930s. As a matter of fact, the Japanese never occupied any part of those islands, here's the history of them.

Howland Island information

The Japanese never had a reason to go that far west until after 1942 when the US were supplying Australia and it's forces from that part of the Pacific. In 1937 the Japanese were interested in the British Colonies in SE Asia, Singapore, Malaya, etc. and was pretty entrenched in China. Here's a map of the Japanese Empire and what it looked like during the war years and the direction they expanded.

http://www.japanfocus.org/data/Japanese_Empire2.png

The closest the Japanese ever came to those islands were their garrisons on Tarawa, 400 mile away and the Japanese didn't occupy the Island until 1943."

Then someone mentions the Marshal Islands

If you look at where the Marshalls are and where Howland Island is located, she would of had to been off course the minute she was airborne and would have had to have flown almost directly there. The Japanese did have a large garrison on Enewetak but that island was quite a distance from any part of her planned flight.

Taking off from Lae, their last known position was Nukumanu which is south east of Tarawa and directly west of Howland, so they were on course. When approaching Howland the USS Itasca did receive strong radio transmissions from Earhart which proved they were in that part of the Pacific and very close to Howland. In Earhart's last transmission she did say she was running "north and south." If that was the case and she went north, based on her fuel should would have been 500 miles east of the Marshalls and about 800 miles away from any Japanese when she ran out of fuel.

Let's assume though she did crash close to Enewetak. There would be no reason for the Japanese to secretly capture her. Although the Japanese invaded China that year and it was condemned by Roosevelt, we still had diplomatic channels opened with Japan. We were still trading with them and for the most part relations were cordial. They knew who Earhart was and it would have been in their best interest to return her. It wasn't until 1940 when relations with Japan really soured.

There's a conspiracy theory about her spying on the Japanese and trying to get their "Purple" code. My wife's grandfather was a cryptographer on MacArthur's staff at the start of the war and he confirmed several times that none of the military Japanese codes were broken until after Pearl Harbor.

Again a "would of, could of" but the evidence is there to show that Earhart was no where near any Japanese when she went missing.

This IMO slams shut any Japanese conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back