American Legion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RabidAlien

1st Lieutenant
Apr 27, 2008
Hurst, Texas
Just out of curiosity, how many folks here are members (active or no) of the American Legion? Every now and then I toy with the idea of signing up (usually when I look outside and notice the very tattered, bedraggled state of my American flag and make another mental PostIt note...subsequently lost....to contact them with regards to disposing of it legally), but I really don't have much of an idea what they do, exactly, other than work in local civic groups and politics and veterans' affairs.

I have wanted to, but I am ineligible. They have a couple of time frames that are ineligible, most of them during the Cold War. I fall right into one of those. Because of that, there are a bunch of us that have wanted to join, only to be told we can join the "auxiliary".

If it's at all similar to the Canadian Legion Jan, it's a veteran's "club" of sorts. They have many branches all over the place and it's a place where vets can meet as well as it handles some veteran's affairs things. There's more to it, but I don't know what else they do exactly.

If it's at all similar to the Canadian Legion Jan, it's a veteran's "club" of sorts. They have many branches all over the place and it's a place where vets can meet as well as it handles some veteran's affairs things. There's more to it, but I don't know what else they do exactly.

Yep, that's pretty much it in a nutshell, including that last bit about "There's more to it, but I don't know what else they do exactly." I fall in under the Gulf War period, even though I was over in the Pacific. I'm just not sure what all the AL does, and whether its worth the extra time out of my week/month.

I am a member of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

I will be honest though, I do not do much besides pay my dues and help out some events such as the Youth Fishing Event this weekend. The posts here just meet and odd hours and it does not fit into my schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back