Amway, anyone?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Folks,

I guess some of you have heard of a company named Amway, or perhaps have been approached by their member. I was approached 3 times, by the people I know, to attend the 'something new, both charitable and lucrative'; once I've attended myself, another time my wife was with me. In those meetings I was told that people that join and work hard for 2-5 years are going to be finacially independent for the rest of their life. My wife me agreed their representative may come to our home, so we can discuss the details.

Now, after that 2nd meeting, I've spent two evenings googling about Amway. The search engine in Firefox lists 1st the name of the firm, then 'Amway scam' as second. You can guess my feeling, as I've read the stuff. The 1/1000 of people in the top brass of the scheme ('king pins') are surely wealthy, the 1/100 can make a living out of that, but the rest 99% are cannon fodder - as in all 'good' pyramide, or multi-level-marketing schemes.

Now, since the US (country of origin) is saturated, they are after China India, plus other, previously not covered countries.

After the second evening of my research, I've canceled the meeting with the representative.

Do not take my word for it, use the internet common sense for your own conclusions.

Don't know anything about Amway.

My wife was really into Mary Kay. She likes the products and still buys for some friends, but didn't like the "mandatory" meetings that were billed as social gatherings. It wore on her and she quit attending. It always looked like a pyramid scheme to me to with the premise being you maike a cut of any new members that you bring in. Thus you end up with most members being like my wife (not making any real money) and the upper echelon making enough of a profit cut on the underlings to make a rather decent living.

I don't know the Amway.But the pyramid scheme is well know in Poland as well.I agree with Charles.That's true.
Personally I would say it should be forbidden by The Law because they are thieves simply who are still looking for naives

....But the pyramid scheme is well know in Poland as well... ...Personally I would say it should be forbidden by The Law...
Pyramid schemes ARE forbidden by law, at least in the UK.
The loophole these scamsters exploit is that they're selling a product, however worthless

My folks were big into Amway when I was growing up. They still buy all their laundry detergent through Amway. Doesn't matter one way or the other to me, it gets my clothes clean. You just have to wait for your order to come in the mail so you have to plan ahead before you run out. Was in it myself for about a year, but when you're deployed and on a submarine, your customer-base is pretty small...and I hate sales (ironic, I was stuck in sales for about 10 years). So I didn't renew. Never bought anything other than toothpaste and laundry detergent, though, because their prices on everything else weren't competitive enough with local stores to make shipping worth it. And yep, its a pyramid scheme, which if you think about it, once an area becomes saturated with other "dealers", you're not going to find any customers. So there's no way to make money off of it unless you happen to live somewhere there's not another dealer. As for their products, I have no big opinions one way or the other, for or against. Just isn't worth the hassle to me.

Sorta the same:

A few years ago my pre-wife was out of work and saw an ad on TV about starting your own business with a company that would do all the shipping, supply, eveything. You just took orders. It was called "SMG" or something. Had Tom Bosley as its spokesperson. We sent for the trial kit and checked out the catalog for all the cool stuff you could sell. I decided to randomly choose one product - some type of combo lamp and bird feeder? - and went on Ebay and did a search. Wellllll, 450,000 people were selling the exact same piece of junk! Did this 10 or 20 times with always the same results.

So for your $400 intial investment you get a book of shiny pictures and nothing to sell.

Amway, Amway, the name rang a bell and when I read your intro, it clicked. They ran through Australia some years back like a dose of salts. I had a number of friends get involved and particularly a couple with wives get real sucked in and for a few months they were all Amway this, Amway that. The one day for unexplained reasons, were never mentioned or talked about again though I did find out that one couple were still trading with Amway, purely for personal use.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

As an "old bloke", you think these things have just gone away. Then a whole new generation comes along, and the pyramid starts all over. Suckering in desperate people who need a kick start. It's like the old medicine shows, when you really look around, they are still here, just on late night TV now. It would do one good, to just step back and really investigate what is on offer. Bill

Glad we have a high level of common sense in our board :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back