AN-3102-10S-2P connector

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

flying misfit

Recruit
Jul 30, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this wiring question. I have a gunsight that I am refurbishing and am trying to find out what size wiring was used then for such things. I am not sure if the gun sight model makes a difference but it is a Type N-6A, it had a broken AN-3102-10S-2P connector, I was able to track a package of 25 down just to have 1 (so if any of you need a connector like that now you know I have them). But now its a matter of finding out the wire size for its mate.

Attachments

• gunsight.jpg
    gunsight.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 64
Most likely either 18 or 16 gauge. You would have to pull the electrical print for the wiring harness to know for sure. I can see if I can find one when I get home, about noon today.

BTW....places like Mouser and Digikey have a large number of the various connectors available in single quantities. It sometimes takes a little digging in the vendor catalogs to come up with their part number for the AN callout.

Couldn't find any prints, but as the sight took both 12 and 24 volt bulbs. if you are going to make it light up, be safe and use 16 gauge. If I remember the coding right, the mating plug should be an AN-3106-10S-2S, and they are available in both solder and crimp types. You want the solder type, unless you want to spend some serious $ for the crimper and die and positioner.

Couldn't find any prints, but as the sight took both 12 and 24 volt bulbs. if you are going to make it light up, be safe and use 16 gauge. If I remember the coding right, the mating plug should be an AN-3106-10S-2S, and they are available in both solder and crimp types. You want the solder type, unless you want to spend some serious $ for the crimper and die and positioner.
I haven't been able to find either the solder or crimp types. And to make matters worse my electrical instructor at my A&P school doesn't know anything about these either... I did find one on ebay but I doubt the original connector had plastic in it like this one.

Attachments

• AN connector.jpg
    AN connector.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 40
The AN3102-10S-2p should be a flange mount, socket with a single pin. One mating connector is the AN3106-10S-2S, which should be a single pin socket with a filled body.
10 is the shell size, S is the key and clocking arrangement. 2 is the contact arrangement and P is for a pin.
No photo, but probably the least expensive one I found in a quick search.

BTW....there are a number of additional letter codes after the AN3102 or AN3106, that designate coatings. You can look up the Aphenol 97 series catalog for more data. Get the catalog from this page is the easiest.

I looked at my small collection of connectors and found I have the equivalent of an AN3102-10SL-4P, and a matching connector, but that is as close as I have. Good luck!
Appreciated...

AN3102 was cancelled for new design in 1962 and replaced by MS3102 which was cancelled for new design in 2009 and replaced by SAE-AS31021. So this should be the type that is still procurable today.
Pin/Socket arrangements were described in AND10429, which was replaced by MS33684 in 1968 and that again replaced by MIL-STD-1651 in 1979. The pin arrangement 10S was never cancelled through all the decades.
MIL-DTL-5051 is the corresponding procurement spec.

Elec specs are always awful to dig through... ;) Also the solder type pin P/Ns can be found in there.

1627928448169.png

1627929953871.png

Source: https://quicksearch.dla.mil

Attachments

• AN3102C_Rev12_1962-03-30.pdf
    388.2 KB · Views: 46
  • MS3102E_1992-08-20.pdf
    278.8 KB · Views: 51
  • MIL-DTL-5015H_2008-08-12.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • MIL-STD-1651B_2020-09-22.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 57
Been a minute since I last have been on here. So I took these pictures from the tail section of the B-17G Sentimental Journey when my dad went for his flight and this is the connector I need that connects directly to my same exact gun sight. CVAIRWERKS you were close (from what I was told, you know information can very) with the part number, I was told it in fact is AN-3108-10SL-2 by a fellow at the "Lacey Lady" restoration/museum in Salem, Or. None the less I still can't find anything with that part number either. I only need to procure 2.

The goal is to restore the sight to operational order.

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    953.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 18
Mouser Electronics (mouse's.com) has a variety of mil-spec Amphenol connectors.

I used to use a few types for waterproof lightbars and accessory connections on lake and river patrol-boats.

When searching at Mouser for AN connectors, replace that with MS (followed by the military part number).

I used your AN number in Mouser's search, and this was the result:

The only difference between the two connector assemblies is that the 3108 is a 90 degree backshell. We use tons of the 97 series connectors, which are direct replacements for most of the round connectors, and backshells are separate items.

The cap and rubber grommet that you are going to need can be difficult to find. I'll run thru my p/n list when I get home from work in the morning. Supposed to have a 40 degree drop in temps and freezing rain and sleet, then snow tomorrow, so reason to lay low in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back