Another new 1/48th scale Spitfire.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I've just seen a new arrival at Model Hobbies, in the form of a Spitfire XVIe in 1/48th scale, from Airfix.
Don't know if this is a brand new tooling (probably is) or a re-boxing, but the box top shows the clipped wing, low back bubble canopy version, in the colour schemes of the King's Cup machine, and that 'black one', the identity of which I can't remember at the moment, but I think was an Air Vice Marshall's?
The retail price at MH is £11.69, so average retail will be around the £13 mark I would think. Looks like another kit on my list then!

I'm on the verge of going from 1/72 to my first 1/48 scale model ever and after some deliberation have desided to go for an ICM Mk VIII of the USAAF Italy. It gets some good reviews, but some other reviews are not so good. I want my first to be out of the box not requiring this and taht extra detailing kit. Thoughts on a post card? That said I just got the new Airfix 1/72 scale Spitfire PRXIX which also has good reviews.

I've got the same kit, courtesy of A4K, and I can safely say it's the best Spitfire kit available - until the recent arrival of the tamiya 1/32nd scale kit that is. The ICM kits are all the same, just different boxing and decals, and can be built as MkVII, VIII and IX, in the various options. The kits are accurate, extremely well detailed, and go together well. However, to the not-so-experienced modeller, the actual fit, and the prescence of some flash here and there, might seem a bit 'off'. But, with careful handling, there shouldn't be any fit problems.
As for the tails of inaccuracy, the only semi-questionable area I know of is the control column grip, which is more of a rounded-off square, rather than the familar circular grip. To be honest, this will hardly be noticed once installed in the narrow cockpit, and I have actually seen at least one grip, on a MkIX, which appeared closer to the kit shape than the 'normal' grip, and might be a production batch difference, to accomodate the later style cannon/guns firing biutton incorporated in a single housing. There has been some debate about the upper cowling shape, but both styles are included, and the only ever so slight possibility of error is the spinner. I can't comment fully on this until I've assembled the model, as the spinner alone, not on the airframe, can be deceiving. If it is slightly wrong, then it can't be by much, and again shouldn't be glaring. Bottom line again, the best Spit kits, certainly in these Mark numbers - and especially at the very reasonable price too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back