Any good book about or article about the innovations that made some planes stand out during WW2? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jeanjo

Recruit
Sep 20, 2020
Hi, I'm new here , I don't know yet how does this forum works but , I do like planes, I wish i could become a pilot in a future, but right now im studying bachellor.
I have to do a monograph , and I didn't think it twice when deciding the theme, WW2 innovations on planes.
Can you give any advice about what book or article i should start reading? or if you are an expert on the theme I am open to opinions .
I am mostly interested in the BF-109 and the supermarine spitfire cause I now they were very good airplanes in the beginig of the WW2

wow ... 1939-1945 saw more innovation in aircraft alone than 1900-1939 in all war-fighting fields combined. My opinion, worth 1/3 of a lead penny.

"Most famous aircraft" and what made them rock more than the others... that would be a short list of innovations.
Spitfire, Mustang, Bf-109, Me 190,

Aircraft components:
Superchargers, Turbochargers, & Intercoolers
Aircraft engine alloys (valves, heads, cranks, etc)
Wind tunnels and wing shapes
Fuels chemistry
Self-sealing fuel tanks
Predictive gunsights
Radar & Radio (yes they existed before, but by 1945 were everywhere, and their presence affected how battles were fought).

Things tried in WWII that didn't work out (well enough to make a real difference) until they were re-done after the war ... another list.
Turbojets
Turboprops
high-temp low-creep turbine alloys
SAM
Guided munitions (other than Bakabombs)
Flying wings and tandem-engine fighters

Things that made air war more effective, but weren't in the air, is another list. Example: Germany established a network of radio transmitters broadcasting a narrow signal (narrowcasting?) criss-crossing England that German planes could listen for, and when they heard (say) 3 signals at once, they knew where they were, and could then take a short vector to their target. Figuring out which signals to jam, and how to, was a British counter-innovation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back