Anybody have anything on RAF Coastal Command camo? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Diamondback

Airman
Oct 24, 2010
Seattle
I'm working up a pair of 1/700 RAF Coastal Command B-17s for some naval wargamers I know, and find myself a little unsure of the kit instructions. I can see that it's the standard white underside, with a dark-green and gray top pattern--but does anyone have specs about the exact shades and patterns used?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
According to AMO A.664/42 July 1942 Temperate Sea Scheme. Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey white undersurafces to pattern No. 2. Second batch of Fortresses delivered to UK hadPattern No.1 . Undersurfaces were gloss white, sides matt white.

Thanks, guys--do either of you know of pattern diagrams floating around the Net? The kit is an old Skywave SP6, if that tells you anything about what I have to work with--color me paranoid, but I tend to not have much faith in kit manufacturers' pattern charts.

So, 613/603 over 601 it is... at this scale and with the protective clearcoats I use (these babies are probably gonna be tossed around a little), gloss/semigloss/flat tend to all run together. And, you can bet I'll post pics when they're done.

Last edited:
Fortress IIs were delivered in three different schemes:

Scheme 1. Olive Drab 41 over Neutral Gray. First 10. Repainted at Burtonwood in Temperate Sea and White scheme. The USAAF data block on the port side was masked off so it remained visible.

Scheme 2. Temperate Sea scheme with Sky under surfaces to pattern No. 1. Would have been American equivalent of British colours. Unconfirmed number, estimated about 20. Repainted Burtonwood. It is likely only those areas to be white were repainted. The USAAF data block on the port side was masked off so it remained visible.

Scheme 3. Temperate Sea and White scheme to pattern No 2. Again these would have been American equivalents to British colours. Almost certainly served in US-applied finish. Aircraft over-hauled in UK after 800 flight hours were routinely repainted.

Boeing did not use Du Pont paints. Olive Drab is not an equivalent colour to Dark Slate Grey, it was a substitute. To simplify production British authorities agreed to accept US aircraft painted with US colours that were similar to British camouflage colours. Olive Drab was an acceptable substitute for both Dark Green and Dark Slate Grey.

Attachments

• IMG-1.jpg
    IMG-1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,243
Gents, the project is slowly coming along... won't have markings or window-"glass" done yet, but I hope to have 'em ready for a pic or two next weekend.

Thanks again for your help!

i would have thought that they would share some camo details with the sunderland as they were doing a similer job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back