Anyone able to print white letter decals for RAF Kittyhawk? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Northwest48

Airman
Jan 20, 2007
Pasco, WA
If anyone has an ALPS or similar printer that can print white decals, I would be interested in purchasing two sets. They are standard RAF letters with no outlines or other enhancements, and they will be for a 1/48 Kittyhawk II in North Africa (James "Stocky" Edwards' plane HS B). I could cut a stencil, or cut a sheet of white decal that I have, but I think I would do a lousy job. As far as I know, this squadron code is not available on any commercial sheet. Thanks

Is there a cartrige with the white paint mounted into the ALPS printer or it is a special device? I have never heard about cartriges with the white paint attached to printers.

I think making masks with a standard printer is cheaper.

Wojtek, the 'ALPS' printer has the extra white cartridge, in order to be able to print white - they cost a fortune though!!
There are 1/48th scale decal sheets available for RAF codes, in grey, dark red, black, sky and white. These are normally a selection of 4 or 5 of each letter and number, in the various sizes and styles. Not sure about your local stockist, but if you have a look at the Hannant's web-site (UK based, and they do ship overseas), you'll find some there. Just 'Google' Hannant's and you'll find them. Enter the details in their search boxes, clicking on 'Aircraft Decals', and the scale, and you should find the whole list, which will be illustrated where appropriate. Check that the codes were white though, as the light grey were used during certain periods.
Hope this helps,
Terry.

I'll also check on the exact color of the letters. It would certainly be easier to use a commercial letter set. If this doesn't work out, I'll check back.

Ive bought the ink jet decal transfer sheets 2 in clear and 2 in white but i think getting the tones right will not be easy as all printers have different colour characteristics, so lots of testing before I load any sheets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back